• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice Actions

J

jbr2608

Can anyone give me a step by step guide to making calls by voice recognition?

There is a video on the help section of the pre installed voice search app, makes it look easy, but I can't do it.

All I can do is voice Google searches, none of the other actions work, such as texting, voice dialling etc.

Any ideas?

Hi
I am having the same problem with the so called voice dialing . Vodafone uk now reckon that its not installed , :thinking: I afraid they do not seem to know much about the phone. :mad: I am looking for a BT app that will allow the headset to start the voice dial seach as with my old sony.
I only went for the DHD because it suppose to have in the new andriod 2.2 OS with voice dialer in it

Glenn

Upvote 0
I've heard Vlingo is a great app for this. Planning to download it myself, but haven't tried it out personally yet...

I was also under the impression that voice dialing was possible, based on the intro/help videos, but have combed through the manual and there is no mention of it...maybe something that was supposed to be in the Froyo (2.2) release, but not implemented in the DHD?

Voice to text does work though...just go to any text field (ie. try a voice dictated message/sms) and on the keyboard press and hold the language key (lower left, next to the comma/semicolon), then speak your message. It does an amazing job of recognizing...

Upvote 0
You're meant to be able to voice dial by doing a long press on the search button. Once the voice search app has opened, there's a video explaining what it can do. Wow! It's impressive - just watch this guy chat with his phone whilst it carries out his bidding!

But... whilst it seems happy to call me on my mobile (Huh?), it steadfastly refuses to call any of the other people I've tried and, instead, it searches on the internet for "Call Brian Blessed Home", for example. (If you want to hear how loud your phone's speaker can really go, just try Brian Blessed on speakerphone!!).

If only the video reflected the reality - I'm no good at accents but, having watched the video through three times in case I was missing something, all I can suggest is that someone tries talking to their phone in an adenoidal American accent, as that seems to work.

Upvote 0
One other idea I've not tried - if you make your preferred number for each contact the default, then maybe it will work better and allow you to just say "Call Brian Blessed" without explicitly specifying which number to dial. If that fails, I can't see what else can be done to simplify things and I've not found any option for voice training.

Upvote 0
p.s. In the interest of complete veracity, I feel I should say that I don't really know Brian Blessed. I could just as easily have decided to say Janet Street-Porter (or anyone else I don't know). Obviously I would, traditionally, have said John Smith, but I do know a John Smith and don't want everyone voice dialling him at all hours.

Upvote 0
another issue with the voice dialling is that it apparently uses contact fore and sur- names rather than nicknames or phonetics spellings so be sure that your contacts are labelled correctly.

To reduce the margin for error I've renamed my friends to have only first name in the correct field, and their surnames in alternative ones.

Upvote 0
Well I've tried it and I can confirm without a doubt that the voice search is NOT working on my DHD as it is described in the video. Despite having "People" checked off under Search options, the voice search does not look in my contacts.

When using the command "Call...(insert person's name)" it only looks on the web. Also, when using the command "Email...(person's name)" it puts the name in the body of the message, instead of in the To: field as is shown in the video.

So it really seems to be ignoring my contacts/people list altogether. I've verified that the names are listed in contacts exactly as I'm speaking them.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated :)

Upvote 0
Hold the search button when the mic comes on press menu and change language to english(us) you can then do all the voice actions hope this helps

Nope, mine is already set to English (US), and I still get the same results. If I try "Call" or "Email" followed by the name, it does not find the contacts and instead, tries to perform a Google search or adds the name to the body of the email...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry if I'm being a little thick here.... how do you get contacts in Google? Some contacts seem to have this option and others don't - but what makes the difference?

Thanks!
Hey capegler,

My main source for Contacts is Outlook, so I just did an export from Outlook/import into Gmail. The only problem with this is they don't synchronize automatically, but my contact list doesn't change THAT often...

Still need to figure out how to synchronize them...just haven't bothered with it yet.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
everything i said resulted in what I said being searched on the internet so was useless for calling..

Until reading in here that contacts must be synced with google. Now it works quite well for me. (Even though I'm Australian..haha) I synced by going to gmail and importing my old vcard of contacts from my last phone.

Thanks to Redrox and Drhunter :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones