• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help voice call announce

Dakotasdad1

Lurker
Dec 27, 2009
Hi everyone.
1st, I would like to say that for the most part, Im happy with the Moment. The extended battery life after the update was a BIG plus.
But i have a question..
I used a samsung m520 slider for about a year before getting into the smartphones. The m520 would "announce" incoming calls.. It was very handy being im in construction and work with my hands all day. I would hear " call from home" or "call from" Whoever was calling as long as they were in my contact list.. Now with the Moment, i get a call and have to reach into my pocket, and look to see who is calling.. Kinda defeats the purpose. with my fingers all dirty, full of liquid nail, or caulk.. hell, mud even.. kinda sucks to grab my phone to see who is calling.. at that point, i could lift it up to my ear and talk..
Does anyone know how to make this phone "announce" incoming calls? I called sprint on this issue, after trying to figure it out, they referred me to Samsung, who conected me with a "level 2" tech (lol) who told me to call google! So, I did, and google does not support the phone! any one know of an app? or a way to kick this in gear?
Thanks!
____Dakotasdad____

Well, I never really looked for an app; I assigned specific ringtones to each person. Additionally, you can record your own voice for each person and save it as an MP3 and assign that as a ringtone.

But, then again, there may be an app out there that does that in which case, I would suggest searching the Marketplace (if no suggestions appear here) either on your phone or through a PC at Latest applications and games for Android - AndroidZoom.com.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Edit: here is a link to two that do what you're looking for: http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/voice+announce/by_matching

Upvote 0
My last WinMo device with VoiceCommand would announce caller ID through the BT headphone.

It would give the normal ring sound, then the robot voice would say the name, or if not in my contacts it would say the number calling.

I had forgotten how convienient that was.

Any devs out there willing to take that on? I'd be willing to pay for it.

Upvote 0
Try the free app on Market titled DriveSafe.ly

Have you read the Terms of Service for that app?

"You will become a fan of us on Facebook and Twitter and promote the application in a positive way and if you don't you agree to uninstall the program."

WTF is up with that?

I just installed the thing and in going over the TOS it makes me want to uninstall it before I've even tried it.

Upvote 0
Have you read the Terms of Service for that app?

"You will become a fan of us on Facebook and Twitter and promote the application in a positive way and if you don't you agree to uninstall the program."

WTF is up with that?

I just installed the thing and in going over the TOS it makes me want to uninstall it before I've even tried it.

Thanks for pointing it out. I re-read the TOS after your post. My justification is the following:
- Many free Android apps are ad-supported and this one has no ads. They want users to follow them on Twitter. IMO, the app is worth that much, and I've not found an alternative app.
- Just like any app, if I don't like it, I'll uninstall it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones