Voice commands and Bluetooth?

Last Updated:

1. sl33py

sl33py Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey All!

OK, so I'm loving the N1 so far. Been about 2 weeks and working great.

One thing I REALLY miss from my BB Curve - bluetooth handsfree calling.

Not sure if that's the best way to state it, so here's how i used it. On my Moto S9-HD i can hit the "phone" button on the left side and it would then beep a prompt. I'd say "call Steve, mobile" and bam - the curve would call Steve's mobile. Easy.

I paired my S9-HD with the N1. Works great for answering, listening to music, etc. BUT when i hit the phone button - no prompt, just a beep. I can pull the phone out and hit the mic button on the home screen, then speak the person's name, etc. and it works fine. Though the mic on the headset doesn't seem to be what the phone listens to when i hit the mic button on the home screen. So i have to hold it up to speak to it when using it that way.

Ultimately, in traffic I like to keep the phone in my pocket and it was really handy to have the phone button on the headset work like that (for my old curve).

Any ideas? A way to configure it? other way to do this? Hope i'm just doing it wrong...

thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. lds0813

lds0813 Member

The Droid has the same problem, not sure if the software is able to work with bluetooth devices as in voice dialing.
    It worked great for Moto 9QC, and think about it, if you have to hold it up depending where you live in NYC or NJ that is a ticket...

3. cabinets

cabinets Well-Known Member

I'm with you. This is some pretty expensive hardware to lack such a basic feature.

4. sl33py

+rep! thx for the response. not what i wanted to hear, but good to know.

bummer. :(

Was hoping i was just doing it wrong.

well, i'll manage without it, but we have the handsfree laws here in WA as well. Suck to get a ticket for it...

And for a premium device it is odd... Maybe something they can add later via OTA update?

5. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

This is a very widely known limitation of Android (see this topic in the Android developers' issue forum). There's some indication that someone is working on it, but who knows when it will be resolved.

6. sl33py

+ to you wmm! thx for the link. It's amazing that it's been an issue for this long w/o any real resolution... :mad:

They are signing the law TODAY it looks like for it to be a primary offense in WA. They will be able to pull you over for talking on the phone while driving. Before it was a secondary offense which meant they couldn't pull you over unless there was another issue (speeding, tabs, etc.)

7. shizane101

shizane101 Active Member

I've read somewhere that a work around for this is to buy a blutooth headset that has a built in address book. Supposedly there is one out there, but I've tried Googling it "bluetooth headset address book" to no avail.

Does anyone know of a BT headset that has this feature? Like sl33py, this is a major problem for me.