Voice Commands and Media PlayerSupport

Last Updated:

1. CardiffGiant11

CardiffGiant11 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi so I have an iPhone 3GS that I'm largely happy with just AT&T service doesn't seem as good as it should be. I tried a Sprint Evo over the weekend and was disappointed with it's very short battery life (despite the tips I've read online) and a few other things just didn't make it a good fit for me and it's going back tonight. Specifically, the media player and how it seemed nearly impossible to do voice commands.

For example on my 3GS I love being able to, via the headset, tell the iPod app to "play artist XYZ" and it will start playing songs by them. Same thing works for album and playlist.

Anyhow, I've been thinking about giving Verizon a try and seeing if I can get a Droid X but I was wondering if anyone knows if the Droid X has a similarly robust voice command for the media player. I saw in videos there appeared to be a Play Playlist voice command but nothing about Artist or Album which I really love. Does anyone know for sure?

Advertisement
  2. CardiffGiant11

Hate to bump my own thread, but does anyone know or can someone try this out for me? I'd also love to know if the volume and song advance(skip to next one) and rewind (go back to previous song) can be done via the headset clicker like on the iPhone.

3. nofez

nofez Active Member

Play <artist or song> doesn't work.

I don't usually use earbuds with controls, but I plugged in the ones I got with my newest iPod Touch, and they don't seem to work.

Clicking any control with the stock music player redials the last number you called (huh?).

In the 3 (Cubed) app, all they controls do is toggle pause.
    In TuneWiki, it seems that any click switches you to the start of a random song.

CardiffGiant11 likes this.
  4. CardiffGiant11

Thanks for the response. That's what I was afraid of, the same thing occurred when I tried my iPhone 3GS headset on the Evo 4G I tried out for a few days. I know the iPhone still is the better choice for media but I'm amazed that this ability hasn't made it into the Droids yet. It's super handy for anyone who uses their phone as a media player while running or walking and other forms of working out. Hopefully one of the manufacturers will realize there's a real opportunity and integrate similar features!