• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice commands keep locking up

Jeffvdz

Lurker
Oct 9, 2014
I have a new problem with my Droid Maxx that is driving me crazy. Touchless control has stopped responding to voice commands after the first or second action. I can listen to a text message that has been received, but when the phone asks me if I want to reply it does not respond to my voice command. Ok Google is the same, If I command my phone to make a call or send a text it launches the requested action, but as soon as it gets to the point of requiring a second voice input it does not respond. In this case, the microphone icon is even grayed out. I have not installed any new apps recently. I do use the Nova Launcher, but that has been installed for a long time and I have not had issues up to this point.

Has anyone seen this problem before or have any suggests on what to look at?

Jeff

No, in my case for the first text message, after I enter the command to 'Sent text to XXXX and it prompts me for the message text I am not able to say the text for the first message. In the case of the Motorola Assist, when I receive an SMS and listen to the message it then allows me to say I want to reply to the message and it does not pick up my command to reply. If I do voice activated dialing and ask to call a person, but have multiple numbers for that person (Mobile, Home, Work) it will ask me which number I want to dial, but it will not respond when I speak which one I want.

Jeff

Upvote 0
I don't know for sure, but I'd try this: Go into the Google app. Scroll to the bottom, tap the three button control, then settings, voice, OK google detection. Is "from any screen" turned on? If yes, try turning it off and see if that helps.

I am having the same trouble. Where is the "Google app" you are referring to? I have searched my Maxx and the settings for Assist and am not finding this..wrong app?

Scott

Upvote 0
I am having the same trouble. Where is the "Google app" you are referring to? I have searched my Maxx and the settings for Assist and am not finding this..wrong app?

It's right in the app drawer - "Google". Blue square icon with a "g" in it.

Or, you can slide up from the home button to open Google Now - it's the same app.

Open Google, or open Google Now, scroll all the way to the bottom and, on the bottom right, you'll see a three dot menu overflow control. Tap that, then settings, then voice, then "OK Google" detection.

Reactions: Scotts Droid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones