Voice Commands

Last Updated:

1. Jorenm

Jorenm Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know any other ones besides "Navigate To" and "Call"?

Advertisement
  2. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I know Map or "Show Me" opens Google map. ie - Show me the closest McDonalds.

Open gmail

I believe if you say a website, the browser will open. Try "browse androidforums.com"

3. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Play around with it..

While demoing to friends a popular favorite is "strip clubs" and "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" :D

The later actually goes to the wiki LOL

4. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

"Look up" takes you to browser and does a google search.

5. justinlindh

justinlindh Member

I'd love to see a full list of the commands that it will recognize and what it will do. I've never trusted voice on cell phones before, but the Droid is ridiculously accurate with what you're saying. The ones I know of are (including the above, for sort of a master list):

The items in <> in the list below are required. The items in () are optional. Items separated by | mean "or".

- Call <contact name> (mobile|home|work)
    - Navigate to <location>
    - Map of <place or business type, such as 'pizza'>

All others go to a Google Search of whatever you said. I'm unable to get the following, as listed earlier in this thread to work:

- Look up
    - Show me
    - Open
    - Dial <number to dial>

I'm performing the search on the generic voice search (by clicking the search button and hitting the microphone, OR by holding the search button (this is a quick way to bring up voice search)). Is it possible the above non-working voice commands only work from a different context for voice search (i.e. from when Maps is open)?

I'll edit this post with new voice commands as we discover them.

There are lots of things I'd like voice search to be able to do, such as "Play Radiohead OK Computer" launching the media player and starting playback. I wouldn't mind seeing a list of commands people would like to see, as I might play with the SDK to see if I can create an app to extend the voice commands capability.

6. jclake

jclake Well-Known Member

If you press the answer button on a Bluetooth headset can you say "Call John Doe, mobile," and the phone finds John Doe's mobile phone number in Contacts and places the call?

7. Jorenm

If you hold down which search button? The one on the screen face, or the one on the keyboard? Holding either one doesn't nothing for me.

8. justinlindh

justinlindh Member

The soft-key on the phone itself. It always brings up voice search for me... I don't think I did anything to customize it that way; I think it should do that by default.

9. Jorenm

Just tried it again and now it works. Odd.

10. mfeinstein

mfeinstein New Member

I can get 'Call' to work, but not 'Dial'. When I do a voice search for 'Dial 123-456-7890' (or a real phone number), it does a Google web search for this. Call with a Contact Name and Mobile/Home/Work works fine.

11. justinlindh

justinlindh Member

Honestly, I only assumed that one worked because one of the home screens showed that as an example for the voice stuff... I rarely call anybody by number so I hadn't tried it. I did try all of the others, though. I'll strip that one out of the known working list.

12. gwhaley262

gwhaley262 New Member

From the home screen I am able to successfully voice dial a number saying "Dial (contact) (mobile|home|work)" while in a browser this doesn't work.