voice dial questionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. WineJones

WineJones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

While we're waiting for our OTA, I have a question I have not seen addressed.

First I want to say that although I've only registered lately, I've been hanging around this Eris forum since last November. You folks are awesome - I didn't need to register because every question I had was already answered (and discussed in detail!) Thanks for all the amazing help!

I know the Voice Dialer is pretty poor but I think I have read in a couple of the threads about it that some people can press the Search button and have found that Voice Search (Google?) will send the phone to the dialer - with better voice recognition. After trying it on my 1.5 Eris (yes, I've been drinking tea like Frisco) and seeing it not work, I decided it must be a 2.1 feature.

Recently I "borrowed" a friends Moto Droid and tried it - nope! When I said "call voicemail" it just gave me web search results for "voicemail". Then I tried it on a demo Incredible at the VZW store with the same results.

My question is, what am I doing wrong? Will someone who said their voice search sends the phone into dial mode give me some instruction?

Thanks again to all of you for help (and quite a few laughs) over the last few months!

Advertisement
  2. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Try using vlingo it works the same as the google search but does much better on voice dialing. Unfortunately you have to speak into the phone itself because it does not work over the bluetooth (at least for me).

3. WineJones

WineJones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got all excited about a vlingo thread a week or so ago - turns out it isn't available for 1.5 -- but hopefully that won't be an issue for much longer!

thanks!

4. droidguy14

droidguy14 New Member

Similar question...my friends hit the voice search and say "call fred" and it dials out of their contact list. Mine recognizes what I say, however it google searches "call (their name)". I've been lurking on here but haven't found this answer. I am not using a BT.