• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice Dialer App Pretty Please!?!?

smudgeyjoe

Jan 18, 2011
I just purchased a Kenwood DDX418 unit for my car, replacing the Parrot mKi9200 I used to use. The Parrot had wonderful voice recognition software, almost never missed, but many other faults, so I scuttled it and got this Kenwood unit to interface with my EVO Shift. The Kenwood's VRS was terrible. I tried 100 contacts and got 1 to work. I went to Car Toys, who of course didn't tell me up front, but the Kenwood is made to interface with just a handful of phones, none as recent as the Shift, probably even pre-Android. I went to the default voice dialer on my phone, but it worked no better than the Kenwood one. I downloaded one called Voice Speed Dial that had me record each contact, but if I don't say the exact speed, pitch and inflection, it throws me out, success rate, 6 out of 100. If you know of a good Android voice recognition dialer, please let me know. PRETTY PLEASE!

Not sure if there is a difference between the Voice Dialer and Voice Search, but you're crazy if you thing Voice Search is rubbish....You should give up the search now.

This thing is amazing - Voice Actions for Android

It doesn't even come within 100 miles how good the voice recognition is on Parrot. I've tried Voice actions many times, and it gets names wrong about 50% of the time. the Parrot was about 95% accurate. Sorry, dude.

Upvote 0
I have tried every thing I can find, on-board voice dialer, Edwin, Vlingo, Speaktoit....I just want to dial hands free with vocal response so I don't have to look at the phone to "choose" when driving at 65.... Voice Command on both my old HTC WINDOWS PHONES worked terrifically well. I could say to bluetooth "Call Michael Smith" and get vocal response "Call Michael Smith at home, work or mobile?" if I had all those numbers in Outlook. It's enough to make me trash my 6 month old HTC Inspire and buy a Windows phone again.

Upvote 0
I just purchased a Kenwood DDX418 unit for my car, replacing the Parrot mKi9200 I used to use. The Parrot had wonderful voice recognition software, almost never missed, but many other faults, so I scuttled it and got this Kenwood unit to interface with my EVO Shift. The Kenwood's VRS was terrible. I tried 100 contacts and got 1 to work. I went to Car Toys, who of course didn't tell me up front, but the Kenwood is made to interface with just a handful of phones, none as recent as the Shift, probably even pre-Android. I went to the default voice dialer on my phone, but it worked no better than the Kenwood one. I downloaded one called Voice Speed Dial that had me record each contact, but if I don't say the exact speed, pitch and inflection, it throws me out, success rate, 6 out of 100. If you know of a good Android voice recognition dialer, please let me know. PRETTY PLEASE!

look for an andriod widget called DIALect. it's pretty no-frills and quite simple but works solid. you can add a separate voice tag to any contact regardless of how it's called in your phonebook which is useful. also has a feature that sort of helps you avoid misrecognition of difficult names or if your speech has a dialect (i guess that's why this thing is called that way) or accent. being a widget has its obvious advantages vs app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones