Voice Dialer Does not workGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Mechmess

Mechmess Member This Topic's Starter

Iv had my Eris for about a month now and love it. It's easily the best phone I've had (my previous were all dumb phones). However, this is the frist phone I have had where the voice recognition actually works. Google voice search is incredible. The wierd thing is though, my voice dialer doesnt work AT ALL. I thought it was maybe becuase I was running ATM, but I stopped like 2 weeks ago and it still isn't working. I mean it wont recognize anything- not even redial or open calendar....

Does anyone else have this issue or have a solution to suggest?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I have not seen that issue with mine. The only thing close to that was having it fail when there was too much background noise, which I figured out after a few tries in one environment and then moving to another, quieter area.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Do you know if you are using the proper commands? I ran into a problem with it at first because I was trying to say things the way my blackberry liked them and they didn't work. My girlfriend has a problem with it because of her accent. All the other voice stuff works fine for her, but the voice dial really frustrates her. I have noticed that the German guy in my office has trouble with it too, for the same reason.

4. Mechmess

I just read through posts in the command sticky and it looks like the problem I'm having of it just sitting at the listening screen is an issue for quite a few people. I did try their suggestions and none of them made a difference. I might take it into VZW and see if they can do anything about it.

5. Frisco

Immediately following the Verizon tech's work on it, be sure to go through your device for a while, using apps, phone calls, texting, voice activated stuff, etc, before leaving the store.

6. Mechmess

Why do you say that? Would they do something that could affect the rest of the operatings of the phone?

7. Frisco

Probably not. However it is just a good policy to save yourself a trip back if you discover something in fact has been inadvertently modified by the tech(s) there.

8. exzachtly1

exzachtly1 Member

I was about to post a topic about this myself. My fiancee has had an Eris for about 2 months, and the voice commands (especially the dialer) have always been very poor.

I got a Droid yesterday and I tested out the voice commands / dialer and it works much better - almost flawlessly. What's the deal with this? Why is the Eris so bad with voice recognition? Is there a fix on the way?

9. Mechmess

this has to be a software bug... If the google voice search works flawlessly for me, there is no reason why voice commands shouldnt work at all... Im gonna go complain and try to get them to switch out my phone for one in the store... I dont really think it will fix my problem, but that way I get a new phone :D

10. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

I thought this was something that was supposed to be fixed with 2.0/2/1.