Voice dialing app without a data connection???

1. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

Under android 2.1, my phone had a very good Nuance Voice Control system app which did a reasonably good job of voice dialing without a data connection. I do not have a data plan and obviously I can't use wifi in my car.

Recently my phone updated to 2.3.3 (manufacturer update, not rooted). Unfortunately, it crippled the Nuance app (will not let me recognize nor adapt my voice).

I am looking for a voice dialing app that can work without the need for a data connection (under 2.3.3). Can anybody recommend one? It seems that all I can find are apps which all require a data connection to an online speech recognition engine, specifically Google Voice Search. I have used a PC browser and found Cyberon Voice Command which says it does not require a data connection. But when I go to the Market to download Cyberon it says that it is incompatible with my phone and won't let me download. It almost seems like there is a conspiracy to force me to get a data plan and to use Google voice search.

Why does Android make it so hard to make a simple handsfree voice dial phone call??

Advertisement
  2. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

Nothing? So in order to do a voice dial, I need to spend another $20 per month for a data plan (more if I am roaming), connect to mobile network (hope for a good signal), speak into the phone which then connects to a Google server a thousand miles away to activate a voice recognition engine which then will dial my phone?

It seems overly complicated to me.
  3. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member Contributor

Choice Dialer Plus does what you want. Yes, I know it lists Internet Access in its permissions... but that is only required for placing calls to numbers not in your address book (how else would it find them?). It also lets you initiate voice commands other than dialing.
  4. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response.

I already tried to download Choice Dialer Plus, but found that it is incompatible with my LG running 2.3.3 (which needs the replacement voice dialing app).

Choice Dialer Plus works with my LG running 2.1. But under 2.1, the Nuance Voice Control works very well (even better than Choice Dialer Plus imo).