Voice dialing for Hero.

Last Updated:

1. Plexus

Plexus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got my Hero a couple of weeks ago and I'm starting to love it more and more with each passing day, but I can't use it as my primary phone because for a guy like me, forced to spend most of his waking time driving a car the lack of a voice dialing application (possibly with BT support) is a very serious handicap (BTW here in Denmark having a phone in your hands while driving could cost you your driving licence).

I also have an old and much beloved HTC touchHD (winmob 6.1) and a Nokia N97 (which now that is decrappyfied, tweaked, updated and pimped up is at least as good as the Hero); and I'm always forced to carry one of those with me to use while driving.

I'm ready to pay for a functioning voice dialing app for my Hero, but it seems that all developers are concentrating on producing farting and burping apps, virtual fish tanks, or phone disco lights, instead of tring to fill this huge gaping hole in the Android app list.

I have read that the G1 (maybe only the american version?) did come with a decent voice controlling program which for some imponderable reason has been ditched in the successive phones: do you reckon that it would work on the Hero too?
    If the answer is yes, does anyone know where this program could be found?

I really hope that one of you fellow droiders would be able to suggest a working solution , even one that would require shedding some of my hard earned euros.
    My gratitude would be unbounded and your name will not be forgotten in my testament.
    Pleaze?

Advertisement
  2. Goshawk

Goshawk Member

No voice support right now, will be in 2.0 android version.

3. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

Easiest thing to do is get all your phone numbers and put them on individual web pages. Then use google voice search to search for the web page with the number on it. Then tap the number to dial whoever you wish to speak to.

It's nearly the same thing and only requires a small amount of effort.

4. Plexus

Thanx for the superfast answers guys, even though they are not exactly what I was hoping for.

Whawha's solution is undoubtly ingenious but does'nt strike me like a particularly practical one, I might try it out with a couple of numbers to see if I could get used to it , but the fact that you would still be required to tap the phone at least twice makes the all idea less useful than just using the fav. numbers widget and just tap on the thumbnails.

I have never heard of an android 2.0 ROM (even if obviously I imagined that some brave fellow would be working on it); any idea on when it could reasonably expected to hit the streets?

5. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

I was kidding!

6. Plexus

In any case it gave me a few ideas on how to exploit Google voice search in some ways unintended by its creators, including a couple of pretty nasty practical jokes.
    I just need to find a way to open a sound file as soon as the web page that cointains it is downloaded by the browser.
    Jeez, have you thought about the possibilities?

7. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

I noticed my Hero is missing the voice search option in the Google bar so I updated google maps but still no microphone icon, even after a reboot.

My Hero is running the latest ROM

What am I missing?

Thanks!

8. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

You need to download the "Google Search by Voice" app from the Market.

Once you have installed this, you will see the microphone symbol appear in the Google Search box.

Okay?

9. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member

Where do you see that? I just searched the market and came up with google maps, streetimage 2.0, and waze.... I've been trying to get this enabled for a few weeks now

10. daffyduck

Ummmmm, do a search on the Market for "Google", should be 7th or 8th down in the list.....:D

Found it?

11. chaoscentral

Nope, still not there =/

12. cheggerspop

cheggerspop Well-Known Member

Where are you in the world, I understand certain apps are only available in some regions.

However, on your mobile access Android Market and search on the keyword - googlevoice (without a space between the two words).

Chegs.

13. daffyduck

Yep, can still find it really easily using Google, Google Voice, etc search strings on the market.

I am in the UK by the way......

14. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Tried these suggestions but still no go.
    I am in Canada but this was not an issue with my G1-it had voice search

:(

15. chaoscentral

I'm in the US, and searching "googlevoice" only brings up the Google Voice application

16. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK and find it with ease.

It's 5th down in the "By Popularity" section of "All Applications" FFS!

17. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

18. chaoscentral

Anyone think it has something to do with me using the European Hero in the US?? I can't find it no matter what I search, I even searched for all programs made by "Google Inc." and still no dice

19. boilerhouse

boilerhouse Active Member

Hi All

I am in the UK too. Searched for 'google search by voice' and there it is top of list. Strange it does for some and not others....

Regards - Boilerhouse

20. chaoscentral

That's about Google Voice though, we are talking about the Search by Voice, where you get the little microphone icon next to the search button on the search bar and you simply say what you want to search.

21. chaoscentral

Well I got this all figured out, for some reason or another it wasn't listed on the US Market, so I downloaded Market Enabler, set my provider to Australia's Telstra, reloaded the Market, and bam there it is! problem solved.

22. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. A UK unlocked hero in US on ATT. The search by voice dialer app doesnt show up in market. I may try your solution, but let me ask first; Is it worth it? Does it work well?

I had voice dialer on my old WM Tilt and it didnt work well at all. Had to be pretty much perfectly silent environment.

23. chaoscentral

The actual voice recognition works nice, pretty accurate. Right now only useful for Google searches, Hero can't do voice dialing and such at least not at the moment. I just wanted it to say I could have it, minimal effort on my part so to me it was worth it.

24. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

I thought you had to root first to use Market enabler??

25. chaoscentral

You do, but I've been using MoDaCo custom ROM since I got the phone, and recently upgraded to 2.5.1, so I gave Market Enabler a shot and that got me to be able to download the app, and for an update just found a voice control app that works pretty well called TopVoiceControl