• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice dialing for Hero.

Oh well. I guess I'll look around for the voice apk.

Seems silly not to include this in all English speaking markets.

I've managed to copy the com.google.android.voicesearch.apk file to my SD card and could host it somewhere like Rapidshare and post if people wanted to give it a blast?

However, if this were to turn your Hero into a teflon paperweight, I'd not be held responsible ;)

Chegs.

Upvote 0
The actual voice recognition works nice, pretty accurate. Right now only useful for Google searches, Hero can't do voice dialing and such at least not at the moment. I just wanted it to say I could have it, minimal effort on my part so to me it was worth it.

Hold down the green call button to voice dial on Sprint Hero. I'm assuming that works on other Hero's.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I couldn't found the Search by Voice and the Voice Dialer applications as well, even with market enabler.
After digging around for a few times I've found the Apks in the HTC Dream recovery image 1.5.

I've uploaded these apps to rapidshare:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

enjoy.

Thank you very much! This was exacy what i needed to get Google voice search on my pre release HTC hero.
It works great.

Thanks,
Anikko

Upvote 0
I couldn't found the Search by Voice and the Voice Dialer applications as well, even with market enabler.
After digging around for a few times I've found the Apks in the HTC Dream recovery image 1.5.

I've uploaded these apps to rapidshare:

enjoy.

Thanks for posting the files.
appears a speech library is also required, which requires rooted hero for installation. guess i'll just have to wait for 2.0.

Upvote 0
Any news about developments with Hand-free Bluetooth voice dialing with the Hero phone? I've looked and still can't find anything myself, and figure someone or some company is trying to make one for the v1.5 right now ... hopefully.

Still don't understand, why was bluetooth voice dialing not included, but yet you can do everything else with the bluetooth ear piece?? Was there a business reason for that? if so, then curious on why they would decide to introduce it in version 2.0 of andriod...

Upvote 0
I say everyone should try to get a hold of the guy who did the Enhanced TTS Library App and ask him to do the same for the Android Speech Library. That way any app relying on the Google Voice Recognition service will work.

It would of course be nice if HTC release the Android 2.0 updated ROM soon, and it would be even nicer if the 2.0 updated ROM also included voice recognition features; however, seeing as though HTC has yet to include them to begin with, I am not particularly hopeful.

Upvote 0
hey all I had search by voice on my phone but since i wiped it i cant find it in the market, I tried the rapidshare links but it wouldnt let me dl them.

anyone who still has the APK can you post them on the net again or email thme to me.

Thanks.

UK hero on orange.

PM me and i'll email you the files. as i said earlier, the voice search wont work, but the voice dialer does (kind of ..... i couldnt dial numbers, but i could load up apps). I originally wanted the voice capabilities for dictating texts in handcent.

Upvote 0
I have noticed that the Hero sold in the USA under different names, all have voice dialing apps.
Is'nt it possible to install one of these programs on our european heroes?

My new Hero from Telus in Canada (same style as the European Heroes) didn't come with voice dialing, but my son's Magic had it. I installed the VoiceDialer.apk from his phone onto mine last night and now I have voice dialing. :)

I haven't yet checked if I can access it through the button on my bluetooth headset - I'm much less confident in that working.

Upvote 0
My new Hero from Telus in Canada (same style as the European Heroes) didn't come with voice dialing, but my son's Magic had it. I installed the VoiceDialer.apk from his phone onto mine last night and now I have voice dialing. :)

I haven't yet checked if I can access it through the button on my bluetooth headset - I'm much less confident in that working.

Really?
I knew it was possible! And even if you can't access the program from the BT headset you can easily have an icon on the home screen that would require a single tap to activate.

Would you be so kind towards your fellow european Hero users as to upload the Voicedialer.apk on Megaupload or any similar place and then post a link in here?
You will have my (and many other Hero owners') eternal gratitude and I'm even willing to pay you for it.

Would you please?

Upvote 0
Would you be so kind towards your fellow european Hero users as to upload the Voicedialer.apk on Megaupload or any similar place and then post a link in here?
You will have my (and many other Hero owners') eternal gratitude and I'm even willing to pay you for it.

My isp provides me with some webspace, so that's the simplest for me.
http://members.shaw.ca/htchero/VoiceDialer.apk

Upvote 0
Dear Danmaskell
Thank you for your time , but when I unpacked the zip file you kindly uploaded inside it I found only:
1 "resources.arsc" file, 1 "classes.dex" file,1 XTML document (The Android manifesto); and two folders, one called "Meta inf" contains some .sf , .mf & .rsa files. The other one , called "res" contains some .png images and another subfolder with 2 more XTML documents.

No .apk file is anywhere to be found in this zip file.
Did you maybe compress the wrong files?

Upvote 0
Dear Danmaskell
Thank you for your time , but when I unpacked the zip file you kindly uploaded inside it I found only:
1 "resources.arsc" file, 1 "classes.dex" file,1 XTML document (The Android manifesto); and two folders, one called "Meta inf" contains some .sf , .mf & .rsa files. The other one , called "res" contains some .png images and another subfolder with 2 more XTML documents.

No .apk file is anywhere to be found in this zip file.
Did you maybe compress the wrong files?

you don't need to unpack it, just drop the file onto your phone and run it.

It worked great, 2his pretty good I could get used to it. Thanks very much for sharing!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones