• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice dialing for Hero.

Why am I the only one who can't manage to install it?
I have put the rar file in the Hero's card and I can see it there using Astro file manager, but if I double click on the file from the PC it just opens the rar file to expose all the useless subfiles and if I double tap on the rar file that i can see on the memory card of my Hero by using the file manager , it does just the same: it extract files but does not install any program.

Did you get the usual message on the phone's screen asking if you want to install the program?
Did you have to restart the phone after placing the file on the Hero's memory card?
How did you make the telephone acknowledge that there was a program that wanted to be installed?

I have tried several times but got no joy.
Any suggestion is warmely welcomed. (Sob..)

Upvote 0
Got that working on my Hero (European) and very impressed how well it picks out the names.

However, it crashes everytime i try to make a call using the found name.

Anyone else getting this?

Well, how about that. I hadn't actually tried to place a call this way until now (just saw that it found the names), and it is crashing for me too. Damn.

Upvote 0
After some searching I see that it is a problem that G1 users have been having after an update. It worked for them before the update (system, not application) but not after, and some had luck by doing factory resets and others didn't. I'm searching to see if someone has a fix.

Edit: Sometimes it gives me a few options to pick from (some that don't sound anything like what I had said). I tried one that was to open albums and it worked fine. Tried other voice commands to open applications and it works fine. It is just the phone part that crashes.

Upvote 0
Maybe it's the way you saved it, because it isn't a .rar file. It is an .apk file.

No man! It is'nt.
When I click on the link you generously shared with us, it opens a window that asks if I want to save or open the voicedialer.ZIP file.
And when I click on "save" I get a zip file in the folder where I saved it.
I can't find any .apk files anywhere.

Vido.Ardes did you find a .apk or a .zip ?

This thing is driving me crazy.

Upvote 0
I managed to install the apk file on the Hero by using the telephone browser to reach this thread of the forum and then tapping directly on the link from the phone itself
The program is downloaded, and I got the usual message that it was successfully installed.
Now if I start the app I get the blinking microphone with "Listening" written in top and a list of possible voice commands, however no matter what I scream or how many times i do it, nothing at all happens.
The phone does not crash but it goes on to blinkthe mic. and telling me that it's listening forever.

Well at least I managed to download the app and install it to the Hero, maybe if we keep on working on it we will manage to make it work too.

P.S.

Could it be possible that this app is not for Android 1.5 (cupcake) which we haave on our Heroes but for th previous version of the OS which was installed on the G1 and G2?

And thank you so much Danmaskell, I really appreciated your kindness.
I will forever remember you in my prayers.

Upvote 0
I linked my hero up to my pc dropped the file on to the sd card and then opened astro on the hero and there the file was clicked on it installed it and it works apart from on calls it wasn't a zip file it showed a apk file

Anyway , it seems that in different ways, we all managed to install the app.
The problem is that nobody managed to make it work.
Are we sure that this app is made for Android 1.5 (a.k.a. cupcake) which is the one we have on the Hero?

Upvote 0
Thank you Markspark, I did'nt know of this app.
It works but it's the worst voice recog. program I have ever seen.
It does'nt recognize shit.
I have disabled all application openings and the dialing option so as to make it easier for it to catch the names of my contacts but it does'nt help .
This app is either deaf or stupid; most probably both.

Do you know of any other similar program?

Upvote 0
Thank you Markspark, I did'nt know of this app.
It works but it's the worst voice recog. program I have ever seen.
It does'nt recognize shit.
I have disabled all application openings and the dialing option so as to make it easier for it to catch the names of my contacts but it does'nt help .
This app is either deaf or stupid; most probably both.

Do you know of any other similar program?

I have just had a go at this first i asked to to open my messages and it opened manchester united app lol then tried to call home and it sent me in the totally wrong direction, never mind im sure we will get there in the end:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hold down the green call button to voice dial on Sprint Hero. I'm assuming that works on other Hero's.

Holding the green call button, after unlocking the phone, does indeed bring up a program called voice dialer with several choices to dial. Very confused why when I activate this program and say "Call Home" I get several choices to dial?! I want a simple (hands free) way to dial numbers, not additional choices to choose from. try it for yourself and see what you get.

I'd be happy with a program that recorded my spoken word and associated it with dialing a phone number. My phone 3 years ago did this. Might we keep this function simple?

Upvote 0
I don't really see it as a bug, I think the "feature" suffers from over- engineeringitus. First of all the voice recognition program is not that accurate (its' innaccuracy could be considered buggy ) Doubting it was actually tested that well before being asked to be part of the feature set by date x.

So if it wasn't tested well how did it get put into the final mix of HTC sense UI under Android 1.5? One word Deadline (aforementioned)

Ok, just finished some frustrating times with another voice recognition program running under Android 1.56xxx, same behavior with Top Voice Control running with a held green call button. Multiple things to do (#'s to call). Ugh...Me thinks that voice control/recognition is somewhat broken under 1.56.651.2, hopefully the issue is not underlying Linux Kernel?

Anyone with Android 2.x having this issue?

as a side issue I'm fooling around with Google Voice or alternatively Fring pointed @ my domain of my creation's SIP server (SIP server yet to be implimented). Fring has an issue with hanging @ login time, another ugh.

Upvote 0
I've never had a phone like this one for bugs.

My Hero does not suffer from any bugs at all now , it just does'nt seem to support voice dialing (or recognition)

But there's something strange about voice dialing in all the new smartphones, like if manufactureres willingly sabotage this feature on the new smartphones.
Listen to my experience:

My old HTC HD ( and all htc models until 2009)came with the excellent "Cyberon voice dialer" (which by the way is an HTC excusive), but The TP2 came without it , although people could and still can, find it in the dark sides of the net and install it.
Now I bought an HTC HD2 and even that option was denied : no voice recog at all; But luckily XDA dev. gives an excellent hack (by Dutty) that restores voice recog. to the HD2.

The best voice recog program ever was the one I enjoyed on my old Nokias N95 and N95 8gb, but now I bought also a Nokia N97 (yes I do have 3 phones: Hero, HD2 and N97) and the voice dialing/voice recog program is absolutely useless, about as good as our "Top Voice re." for the Hero.

I have had a Samsung Omnia (i900), and that too did'nt come with Voice dialing (wich worked well on older Samsung phones). I managed to put HTC's Cyberon voice dialer on my Omnia which worked OK , but it never supported starting a call from a BT headset.
I also had a Samsung Omnia HD (symbian) and voice dialing was the same bad joke as it is on the N97.
None of the other new Samsung smartphones (Pixon 12, omnia pro, omnia 2, etc) have voice dialing even though HTC's Cyberon VC or Microsoft Voice commander can be installed on all Win mobile phones ( or dutty's hack if it's win mob 6.5) , the Samsung models will not have BT enabled call starting, which is one of the reason why I did'nt buy an Omnia pro (the other reason being that I already have 3 phones).

Isn't that wierd?
I now have the best win mobile phone on the market (HTC HD2); the best Symbian phone (N97 with the latest 2.0 rom and fixed up by Nokia repair shop) and the best Android phone (the Hero, since here in Europe the Droid is not yet arrived), and the only one that sports a functional voice dialing app is the HTC HD2 , but ONLY because of a hacked program I downloaded from XDA dev.
I wonder how the issue is on the Droid, since when it will finally come to Europe (under the "Milestone" moniker) I plan to get one instead of the Hero.

What do you think about it guys?
It makes for some good conspiracy theory, uh?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones