Voice dialing

Last Updated:

1. MotoDriod

MotoDriod Well-Known Member

I want to add my husband and some others....so i can just say their name and not have to to go looking for it, or dial it. Anyone know how to do this, or if it can be done? Thank's in advance.

2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

You just use the voice search function by holding down the magnifying glass button and then say "call _______".
  3. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

Tap the microphone next to the search window, then say "call person"

If your husband's name is david, say "Call David"
  4. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Press and hold the search button until it vibrates then just say call and the name you want to call. Tends to be more reliable with first and last names vs. just first.
  5. EAK128

EAK128 Well-Known Member

Also if they have couple of different numbers, you just specify "mobile" or "home" at the end. So you would say "call David mobile".
  6. rsbenedict

rsbenedict Well-Known Member

On the Hero and Eris, you need to press and hold the phone button for voice calling.
  7. switchblade9

switchblade9 Member

Has anyone been able to make voice dialing work using a Jawbone. On my LG phone all I had to do was hit the "noise assassin" button and hold it for a few seconds and I would get the "please say a command" verbal prompt. That doesn't work on the Droid. Is there an app that corrects this, or is this not even possible? Thanks.

Michael B.
  8. rsbenedict

I haven't found a way to get VC to work with any bluetooth. I'm not sure if it has the capability.
  9. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member

If you have not yet done so, please go to:
    Issues - android - Project Hosting on Google Code

And click the star icon for issues #1181 & #1412 - comment only if you have something new to add, stars are what count. If you sort by stars, they will be near the top. From what I have been told, this is the only sure fire way to let Google know what we are looking for.

10. vzwdroidtech

vzwdroidtech Active Member

As per the Motorola website, voice dialing is not supported, although there may be an app in the Market.

link: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...oth/p/30,6720,7155/access_id/37,1/r_id/138858

I searched for an app in Market, but came up empty. Maybe soon...
  11. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

You can also say "dial" as well as call, and I find "Dial" less likely to be mistaken for "Carl"....or is it just the way I talk? ;)
  12. johirsh

johirsh Well-Known Member

there is an application called Voice Dial HF that make Voice Dial WORK
  13. rsbenedict

Where did you find this app?
  14. johirsh

15. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

Well, since you've tried it can you confirm how it works?

Specifically, if you say "Call John" will it look in your contacts and respond "Call John Doe"? Do you have to pick from a list or is it all done hands free after the initial hitting of the app?
  16. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

so, like... what do you do if your husband's name is not david?
  17. DrDiff

DrDiff Well-Known Member

I dont like Moto's atitutde about this. :mad: It shouldn't be an app. It should be a part of the phone!

My Razar v3m works with my moto bluetooth headset and I tap the headset and say call (name of person) (type of phone) and then it calls that number. If you press the side button without the blue tooth headset you can do the same thing.

The Droid should be the same way.
  18. johirsh

I agree it should be part of the phone.. on the Motorola forum they claim that if you can get Google search to dial for you... but In the end its not Moto fault its google... on their list of issues they call this an "enhancement"

YES THIS WORKS!!!! I installed it and now my droid dials almost as good as my razr (no BT dialing yet a whole different issue)...the only real issue I have with it is that is used speaker phone for the exchange.. but it recognizes me , verbally asks for confirmation and verbally takes my confirmation and dials with out any touching from me.
  19. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

Sadly not everyone has access to paid apps (like Canada).

For a free work-around in the mean time, I've done this:

In the marketplace, download TopVoiceControl - TopVoiceControl v1.3.0 Application for Android | Tools

The first time you launch it, it will ask which voice dialer you want to be your default. Press the checkmark box for Make Default, and choose TopVoiceControl (you can change this back later by "clearing" the default in Settings > Applications > Manage Applications).

Now, in Contacts, create some "speed dial" contacts with easy to say names you will remember, and which don't sound too much like other contacts names. I am playing with using "numbers" actually spelled out like "One" and "Two". For example, I created a contact called "One" with my wife's cell phone number and NO other information.

Start TopVoiceControl (it will start up like voice dialer, waiting for you to say something). Press the menu button, this will bring up the settings for TopVoiceControl. Check the box next to "Act on single result".

(Note: while you are in the settings you may also want to turn off text-to-speech, which is on by default, because to use this you need to download another app or package or something, and it will keep nagging you until you download it, or until you disable it in settings. I haven't tried it yet).

Now, provided your voice "speed dial" contact name is a unique sounding name that is not too hard to pronounce, it should be the only result found when you say it, and TopVoiceControl will initiate the call right away.

It is important to remember that you have to say "Call" before the contact name, or it will search for apps as well.

I tested this using my Motorola BT ear piece and it worked well. It is important to speak loudly, clearly, and enunciate well so that TVC only finds the one result to call. Play around with names/words that sound very distinct from the other contacts and app names on your phone.
  20. johirsh

It REALLY irks me that Google's development team put us in this situation... to pay to make a basic feature work right just plain frosts me
  21. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

@johirsh: see my post above for a FREE work-around solution.
  22. johirsh

Yep your is a free work around... but I am in US .. 3.99 is less the a drink at at a bar and tehre really isn't a work around with it my phone now worls like my razr did.. well without BT but there is no app to fix that

23. ejlax

ejlax Well-Known Member

I have been using the standard voice dailer app that came with Droid since 11/6. It is virtually identical to the app Voice Dialer HF only it does not have the voice feedback. I am not sure why no one has mentioned this, but you can find it in your apps drawer at the bottom called voice dialer. No need to spend the extra 3.99 for this. And by the way, this WAS INCLUDED with the phone.
  24. johirsh

thanks for the info as to

"I am not sure why no one has mentioned this," they have.. at least half the posts in this thread deal with situations where the core app doesn't work

You are only the 5th person I have seen feedback from who says they can use the standard application with out manual intervention.. this as opposed to over a hundred on the google "bug list" who say they CAN"T get it to work

so yes I had to pay the 3.99 to get my phone to work semi-right..
  25. ejlax

ejlax Well-Known Member

actually as i re-read these posts, they all mention using long-press voice search to get the voice working. Either way i can use both and have since i purchased the phone. the voice dialer HF UI is exactly that of the stock voice dialer app. If you are getting a different interface, then you are using the wrong app. If you still cannot get yours to work, i would check your build model under your battery format (mine is 42/09, wk/yr). My buddy at work was having issues with his and he exchanged his for a newer one (43/09) and his voice dialer has started working as well. I know that is a hassle for 3.99 but i personally think that you may have other issues with your voice commands on your phone that are more involved than just voice dial.

I just purchased the voice dialer HF and i can agree that is more precise than the stock app.