• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voice echo. Anyone else getting this?

hi guys

i got my samsung galaxy s2 a few days ago and i'm having problems with a voice echo. Whenever someone calls me they complain that they can hear their own voice, to the point where i'm being asked to call them back on a different phone.

The problem only happens when i use a phone cover (currently using the case mate tough case). I think it has something to do with the noise reduction, as the problem stops when i turn this off.

Does anyone know if this is normal or if the handset is faulty? I've tried different phone covers but the same thing happens.

I'd love to be able to switch off the noise reduction permanently but there doesn't seem to be this option. :(

cheers
noice reduction there has to be a way..ok as soon as you make or receive a call & the Eco happens on the bottom left corner of the phone press menu you'll see noice reduction come up press it & you'll find even with a case on the Eco goes away, perfect sound, the down:(side is you need to do this with every call ok..THIS IS MY SECOND PHONE I TOOK THE FIRST ONE BACK BOTH DID IT..

Upvote 0
As reported, this is an issue for me. So, having spoken to a helpful voice at T-Mobile, I then spoke directly to Samsung.

As a consequence, I've just submitted a press release to the Daily Telegraph technology section as Samsung told me earlier today that "this is a known problem" and "until they can design a case which works, there is nothing that they can do about it"

Having reportedly sold in excess of 10 Million units worldwide, I'd be interested if anyone bigger than me is pushing them for a fix.

I share the view that this has the potential of becoming Samsung's iPhone antenna issue.

My suggestion - as heralded by others, is to create a setting that permanently turns off noise reduction - it's not a cure but sure will remove the symptom.

Upvote 0
Hi guys

I got my samsung galaxy s2 a few days ago and I'm having problems with a voice echo. Whenever someone calls me they complain that they can hear their own voice, to the point where I'm being asked to call them back on a different phone.

The problem only happens when I use a phone cover (currently using the Case Mate Tough case). I think it has something to do with the noise reduction, as the problem stops when I turn this off.

Does anyone know if this is normal or if the handset is faulty? I've tried different phone covers but the same thing happens.

I'd love to be able to switch off the noise reduction permanently but there doesn't seem to be this option. :(

Cheers

I had that same problem too. No case cover or anything. Everyone I called complained about that same thing.
Updated my two weeks old I9100 with Gingerbread 2.3.5 to ICS 4.0.3.
No voice echo problem anymore and ICS works fine. Flashing custom ROM can void your warranty though, but there is a solution too. ;)

Upvote 0
Reactions: barryyam
Upvote 0
I found putting a piece of card under the back of the top earpiece speaker didn't work as card conducts sound. I cut a piece of white foam wrapping,folded it double and it worked perfectly as foam does not conduct sound throught it to the back case. The white wrapping foam is the type you find most electrical items wrapped in and is widely used.
It is obvious the fault on my phone was due to the earpiece speaker pressing on the hard plastic back case and transmitting the sound through the case to the mic at the bottom causing an echo.

Upvote 0
hi folks, ive just got a s2 on a 2yr contract with 3, i got it home and put my old sim card in as i already had a contract with them but wasnt due a upgrade so decided to take out 2 contracts, anyway aftyer putting old sim in new galaxy and put free case on all my friends complained of echoing on their side, i rang 3 and told them to take the phone back straight away, but i thought id try my new sim card in the s2 after reading that the sim can sometimes play up in these phones, anyway, new sim in i rang a mate and he said no echo at all, i put the old sim back in and rang back, it was full of echo, so i rang 3, told them my old sim was faulty and needed a new one as i was still under contract, received my replacement sim this morning, put it in the s2 and rang my mate, and, ta daaa! no echo at all, so for all of u people having problems ring ur sp and tell them ur sim is faulty and need a replacement, ( its usually free if ur still contracted) if not its done for a small fee of around a

Upvote 0
I read all about the echo problem whilst awaiting delivery of my SG2. When I got it up and running there was the problem! No cases at this point and yes the DNR worked but left me with a lot of static on my end of the conversation and did not cure the muffled sound on the callers end. Having bought it from Amazon it was no problem to exchange it but the new one had the same problem at times - by now I had a case and again it made no difference whether the case was on or not - bad with or without and good with or without. At one point I did notice that the problem coincided with the battery being low but I have yet to replicate this - so not conclusive. I did reset to factory settings and also had to remove and reinsert the sim card (a 3 one) and for now all seems well. If the problem reoccurs I will ask for a new sim card and reset to factory settings again (easy since I synchronize with gmail and the rest of my stuff is on a +60GB micro sim card). I find it difficult to believe that this is a hardware issue otherwise the problem would happen all the time or consistently? Otherwise the phone is brilliant although I do miss several items which were built in to my N95 8GB:
- when connecting to the web the N95 always gave me the choice between wifi and 3G (quite important given the potential data usage) just before connecting.
- the much better speakers (for playing music) on the N95.
- the much better calculator (complete with conversions) on the N95.
- the much easier access to task manager.

Having said all that the SG2 is a wonderful device and I'm glad to have chosen it.

Upvote 0
Hi guys

I got my samsung galaxy s2 a few days ago and I'm having problems with a voice echo. Whenever someone calls me they complain that they can hear their own voice, to the point where I'm being asked to call them back on a different phone.

The problem only happens when I use a phone cover (currently using the Case Mate Tough case). I think it has something to do with the noise reduction, as the problem stops when I turn this off.

Cheers
Ok so I have picked up my Samsung galaxy s2 from Telstra harbourtown with samsungs quality assurance print out saying that the mic has been reset and it has passed all tests with flying colours, blow me down I put my cover on and make two calls and receivers are complaining on muffled/ echos on their end... I took back the phone 16 hours after picking up the so called fixed phone. Telstra harbourtown is sending it back again, funny thing is no one has thought about foregoing the monthly handset charge that I am paying.
This is absolutely ridiculous and is a very bad PR issue for Samsung one would presume. I will you all updated with the second round of Samsung repairs.

Upvote 0
I can't answer your specific question but after I exchanged my first S2 with another new one (courtesy of Amazon) and it turned out to have the same problem which was not in any way affected by having or not having a cover on I reset to factory settings and at the same time I removed and reinserted the sim card. I do not know whether one of these or something else fixed the problem but it was certainly fixed since then. By the by, when I turned the noise reduction off I was left with a lot of static (on my end of the call) which I found unacceptable - this was all before it was fixed. It is now running beautifully. Bad English? I certainly didn't notice it - just needed to put ' in "I'm" and upper case i in "I".

Reactions: NM4Y
Upvote 0
Hi folks, this is a update from my last post as to finding a cure for the dreadful echo problem on the s2, like i said before i replaced my existing sim with a new one(replacement, same number). And im glad to say i have been promlem/echo free now ever since, this phone is now the dogs dangly bits!! Just ring up ur service provider and request a replacement sim card and give it a go, thanks and hope your as pleased as me

Upvote 0
I have the cure, throw it on to the middle lane of the M25 and within seconds it will be no problem anymore!
Ok I have this also, it's driving my wife and my parents mad, would like to see if ICS cures it but they haven't got around to dishing it out yet for us sim free S2 owners.
I must say I do use the casemate also but sometimes it echoes with the case off.
If there is going to be a petition, I want my name on it!

Upvote 0
As reported, this is an issue for me. So, having spoken to a helpful voice at T-Mobile, I then spoke directly to Samsung.

As a consequence, I've just submitted a press release to the Daily Telegraph technology section as Samsung told me earlier today that "this is a known problem" and "until they can design a case which works, there is nothing that they can do about it"

Having reportedly sold in excess of 10 Million units worldwide, I'd be interested if anyone bigger than me is pushing them for a fix.

I share the view that this has the potential of becoming Samsung's iPhone antenna issue.

My suggestion - as heralded by others, is to create a setting that permanently turns off noise reduction - it's not a cure but sure will remove the symptom.

Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

We are sorry to hear about the issue you have experienced with your Samsung handset. Regarding your case, kindly note that the issue reported with the phone indicates that the phone would need a software reset, or re-flashing of the software, in order to have it operating normally again.

Please note that what has happened is caused by a minor software confliction.

Please click on the link below to guide you to the nearest Service Centre that you can go to with the Proof of Purchase, by just submitting your Post Code, and choosing Mobile Phones from the drop down box:

samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION

Ok so they say its a software conflict causing it. Mmm I am too busy to goto the nearest(not so near) service centre but will keep you informed. However can someone explain is a reflash the same as a reset as surely i can do that anyway ?

Upvote 0
Hi all i had this issue with the case mate on but fine without, I just updated to icecream sandwhich and all is now fine even with case on the echo has totaly gone!:D
I think if anyone has this problem still after updating contact samsung about it as its obviously a floor with the phone,Good luck to all who have this problem ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones