Voice Mail AlertGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Quick question and I was wondering if its been happening to any of you. When I get a new voice mail, there is no alert appearing at all in the "Messages" app on the home screen. Is there a setting somewhere to fix this or perhaps my voice mail is just hosed?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Update: Ive noticed I've been getting some weird text messages since getting this phone. I did a Google search and found this: Gibberish Text instead of New Voice Mail Notification on TP2 - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe this is my problem?

Advertisement
  2. malice

malice Well-Known Member

By messages app you mean the pull down notification bar?

My voicemails come up on the notification bar at the top. I pull down the page and click, and it instantly dials VM.
  3. Trooper

Either the pull down app, or the app on the HTC home page. Neither report I have a voice mail when I do. Maybe its caused by the link I posted. Will probably have to all Verizon on this one.
  4. Trooper

Just wanted to update anyone who may have this problem. It seems that my problem is indeed related to the issue I posted in the link above. Called Verizon today, after about an hour the tech said he had tried a bunch of stuff, but its still happening.

They opened up a ticket. He said it should be resolved today, but may take up to 3-5 days to fix. Never again will I install Visual Voice Mail (which is why I have this issue).
  5. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Try to get yourself a Google Voice invite. I'd give you one but I still don't have any to give :/
  6. Trooper

How exactly does Google voice work? So I would not have to use my Verizon voice mail?
  7. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Right. Once you setup GV, all your voicemails will go there. And through the GV app, you can see all your voicemails visually. If you can get an invite, I highly recommend getting it.
  8. nstallion

Correct. You would use Google Voice as your voicemail instead. You can either check your voicemail with the Google Voice app or on a website very similar to Gmail. You can also use it to make outgoing phone calls if you want to call internationally for example. If you wanted to you could even use it for incoming calls since you get a whole separate Google Voice phone number.

Possibly my favorite thing is that it makes a written transcript of the messages people leave, so you can still check voicemail even if you can't listen to it. Depending on how clearly the person speaks the transcripts are pretty iffy though - it's still in beta.
  9. Trooper

What about Google privacy issues?
  10. nstallion

Probably a bit more information than you wanted:

11. Trooper

Thanks for the heads up. Will think about it, but then again I don't have an invite.

Update on my situation. I've been on the phone with Verizon another 3 times. After explaining the deal to someone from Verizon who seems to know what they are doing, it turns out that check this out. I have two voice mail accounts. One is corrupted, and the other one is not.

So after numerous phone calls today and finally getting and engineer who knows what they were doing, the situation seems to finally be resolved!

EDIT: The only thing that seems weird, is that they had to take my phone off the network for awhile while testing. After they added it back, my 3G speeds are about half of what they were. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing or just congestion in my area today.