• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice Mail Notification not appearing when vm received???

thehorv

Nov 9, 2009
I have been on the phone with Verizon for a couple hours tonight discussing this so apologies in advance if my angry typing comes through...

A couple weeks ago I noticed my voicemail notification would not go away even after I listened to all my voicemails. I found an option to "Clear Voicemail Notification" under the "Call Settings" option in "Settings". This made the ghost vm notification disappear from my notifications bar.

---BUT---

Since doing this, I am no longer receiving ANY notifications of having a voicemail. I thought it was funny that I had missed some calls and not received any messages and upon checking my voicemails I had 5 messages. Verizon took me through all the normal stuff (take the battery out, do you really have a voicemail, *228, etc..) and even went so far as to unchoose and rechoose the option on their end to have this notification sent down to the phone. Nothing worked. They are at the point where they want me to do a complete reset which I am not jazzed about as I don't want to lose all my history, apps, non Gmail (which is the vast majority) Contacts, etc...

It cannot be possible that by clicking the "Clear Voicemail Notification" button in settings that I have completely disabled the device from accepting these notifications is it? I have gone through the Settings Menus a bunch and don't see anywhere where I can manually choose to receive a voicemail notification (as is the case with emails, texts, etc.).

Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

Here's what I tested.

Leave a message. Clear missed call notification. Clear voicemail notification (settings/call settings/ clear voicemail notification)

Leave message #2. Clear missed call notification. Voice mail count is now 2. Clear voicemail notification.

Leave message #3. Clear missed call notification. Voice mail count is now 3. Clear voicemail notification.

Leave message #4. Clear missed call notification. Voice mail count is now 4. Clear voicemail notification.

Appears to be functioning as I would expect.

Upvote 0
Hi DG, thanks for the reply.

I think the thing that is missing out of your troubleshoot is that your phone has never experienced the problem of having the vm notification on once you had listened to all of your vm's. My notification was working as you describe above until that event occurred and ever since it has been hosed.

I found out today on another thread someone else was experiencing this same issue, did a hard reset and the vm notification still will not appear upon receiving a new message.

I am not a wireless telco engineer but I am guessing the problem is with one of two things. Either the process on the Verizon server that sends the notification down to the device one a vm is left is corrupt and/or broken or the process that receives the notification and displays it on the device is corrupt and/or broken.

I am hoping someone at Verizon/Google/HTC/MIT reads this and maybe can help?

Upvote 0
Hi again...

So I just got off the phone with HTC tech and they couldn't really help me. They had me take out the battery, put it back in and turn the phone back on.

That did nothing.

Now they are telling me to call Verizon back and ask them to restore my voicemail.

I asked if I downloaded a Visual Voicemail app if that would override the other voicemail on the phone. He said it was worth a shot. However, I heard that if you have visual voicemail Verizon adds a monthly charge. Do you know if this is true?

Upvote 0
Began experiencing same problem yesterday. I have the motorola droid and in call settings, I do not have ability to clear vm notification.
Already tried removing battery didn't work.
I get missed call notifications but no green light or audible "droid" when vm registers
Am able to p/u vm when dialing *86

Upvote 0
I called verizon and they had to rebuild my droid voice mail back up... They had to completely wipe it out and redo the greeting and everything after this happened i got my notifications back for voice mail. I was having the same issues and went through 8 new phones before I got contact with a competent verizon rep in tech support.

Upvote 0
I have been on the phone with Verizon for a couple hours tonight discussing this so apologies in advance if my angry typing comes through...

A couple weeks ago I noticed my voicemail notification would not go away even after I listened to all my voicemails. I found an option to "Clear Voicemail Notification" under the "Call Settings" option in "Settings". This made the ghost vm notification disappear from my notifications bar.

---BUT---

Since doing this, I am no longer receiving ANY notifications of having a voicemail. I thought it was funny that I had missed some calls and not received any messages and upon checking my voicemails I had 5 messages. Verizon took me through all the normal stuff (take the battery out, do you really have a voicemail, *228, etc..) and even went so far as to unchoose and rechoose the option on their end to have this notification sent down to the phone. Nothing worked. They are at the point where they want me to do a complete reset which I am not jazzed about as I don't want to lose all my history, apps, non Gmail (which is the vast majority) Contacts, etc...

It cannot be possible that by clicking the "Clear Voicemail Notification" button in settings that I have completely disabled the device from accepting these notifications is it? I have gone through the Settings Menus a bunch and don't see anywhere where I can manually choose to receive a voicemail notification (as is the case with emails, texts, etc.).

Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

This will save you 40 minutes with customer support....go into your voice mailbox...choose option 4 (personal options)...then choose option 1 to TURN ON voicemail notification......my guess is this option came with the ERIS....

Reactions: Samgsungphone
Upvote 0
Hello, I know thisI c is an ongoing issue. Mine shows 7 new voicmails and never goes away. Sometimes if I get a call and someone leaves an actual message, then the 7 new voicemails goes away for a while. When I go out of service, the icon comes back and doesn't go away again. I have been online with tech support and elevated to level 2 several times and nobody can figure it out. I have restarted, Hard restarted, and completely factory reset, then finally they sent me a brand new phone. Same thing. I go out of service and the icon appears again. I can pull down the screen from top of phone and see the little reel to reel icon, I can delete everything else on the drop down screen except the icon! It is, I believe, and android programming fault. They call it a ghost....and its annoying is all. Phone still operates normally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones