Voice Mate?General

1. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Thinking about getting this phone in the next couple months. The Virgin Mobile site says it has "Voice Mate". Do they mean Google Now or do they have some knock-off bloatware on the phone that tries to emulate it?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Ganesh420

Ganesh420 Member

I honestly haven't played with it much, but it will take simple voice commands like dictating a text message or dialing up a contact. I don't use it, however, because you can install Google's Now launcher. It's not available for our phone officially through the Play store, but a Google search will turn up a few articles about getting it on any phone. Google Now works very well on the Volt.

Find the link and instructions here, among others.....
    Here’s how to get the Google Now Launcher on any Android phone or tablet | TalkAndroid.com
    Murf1 likes this.
  3. Tigatron

Tigatron Well-Known Member

Its like Google now but not as good.

BTW if you root you can switch to the Google now launcher but there's more than just having the apps. The lib files must be extracted and used as well.

I'm using Google now launcher (newest version) as my only launcher (set as system app); fully functioning hotword (OK Google)

The funny part is the play store says its not compatible with the volt.
  4. Ganesh420

Ganesh420 Member

Just wanted to note that you don't need root to install Google Now. It'll install as another home launcher.
  5. Tigatron

I started by installing it but the OK Google hotword didn't work till I used root explorer to extract the lib files from Google search and put them in the system/libs folder and set the permissions.
  6. kikiembryonic

kikiembryonic New Member

False. Google (and apps /maps, gmail, drive) came installed on my lg lte. No rooting required.
  7. Tigatron

Those other apps come installed but not Google Now Launcher.
    I had to download the launcher from xda then install it from the SD card as the play store says its not compatible; but the hotword feature didn't work. To make hotword work I had to be rooted and extract the lib files from the Google search apk and place them into the system/lib folder and set the permissions.

Here's what happens if you can get the play store to pull up the Google Now Launcher on your LG Volt.
    [​IMG]
  8. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Well-Known Member

Are you using a modified Play Store app? It doesn't even come up on my phone.
  9. kikiembryonic

kikiembryonic New Member

Sounds like you're trying to root a hot phone.Either you plain stupid or flat dumb. Or just reset it. RESET IT.
  10. Tigatron

I did a Google search for "Google now launcher" then click the play store link and select open with play store.

In general if the play store won't display an app its considered " not compatible"

On a fun note I'm now using a newer version of the launcher than is on the play store. Its from the Android L 5.0 dev leek.
  11. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Well-Known Member

Hope you're talking to yourself. That doesn't even make any sense. o_O
  12. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Well-Known Member

I know, that's why I was curious that you got it to show up on your phone.
  13. Gendo420

Gendo420 Well-Known Member

Using Nova Launcher Prime will allow you to use "OK Google" as well
  14. np6s4x

np6s4x Well-Known Member

edit: oops...
  15. dkarter

dkarter New Member

can I change the voice mate gender?...sure would love to hear an australian male voice
  16. dkarter

dkarter New Member

im wondering if u can change the voice mate gender to male...preferably australian :D
  17. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Ok, I have the phone. So it has Voice Mate, Voice Command, and the possibility of adding Google Now (when I start Google icon it has a link that says "Get Google Now").

So what is the difference from the 3 and what is the best one?

thanks
  18. Sharkhunter45

Sharkhunter45 Well-Known Member

Unleash your inner Nexus Warrior and just go with Google Now. (Sorry, that's a reddit thing). Google now works really well for me
    Murf1 likes this.
  19. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Well-Known Member

I used google now for a bit . I found a link for the lg g3 launcher and I installed it as an update to the stock home launcher. I like it better as it has a 5x5 grid and no labels on the icons. As I havent rolled back and done the rooted v4 rom yet because I am too lazy.

[​IMG]