• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice Mate?

I honestly haven't played with it much, but it will take simple voice commands like dictating a text message or dialing up a contact. I don't use it, however, because you can install Google's Now launcher. It's not available for our phone officially through the Play store, but a Google search will turn up a few articles about getting it on any phone. Google Now works very well on the Volt.

Find the link and instructions here, among others.....
Here’s how to get the Google Now Launcher on any Android phone or tablet | TalkAndroid.com

Reactions: Murf1
Upvote 0
Its like Google now but not as good.

BTW if you root you can switch to the Google now launcher but there's more than just having the apps. The lib files must be extracted and used as well.

I'm using Google now launcher (newest version) as my only launcher (set as system app); fully functioning hotword (OK Google)

The funny part is the play store says its not compatible with the volt.

Upvote 0
Its like Google now but not as good.

BTW if you root you can switch to the Google now launcher but there's more than just having the apps. The lib files must be extracted and used as well.

I'm using Google now launcher (newest version) as my only launcher (set as system app); fully functioning hotword (OK Google)

The funny part is the play store says its not compatible with the volt.

False. Google (and apps /maps, gmail, drive) came installed on my lg lte. No rooting required.

Upvote 0
False. Google (and apps /maps, gmail, drive) came installed on my lg lte. No rooting required.

Those other apps come installed but not Google Now Launcher.
I had to download the launcher from xda then install it from the SD card as the play store says its not compatible; but the hotword feature didn't work. To make hotword work I had to be rooted and extract the lib files from the Google search apk and place them into the system/lib folder and set the permissions.

Here's what happens if you can get the play store to pull up the Google Now Launcher on your LG Volt.
a4u5u6a6.jpg

Upvote 0
Are you using a modified Play Store app? It doesn't even come up on my phone.
I did a Google search for "Google now launcher" then click the play store link and select open with play store.

In general if the play store won't display an app its considered " not compatible"

On a fun note I'm now using a newer version of the launcher than is on the play store. Its from the Android L 5.0 dev leek.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have the phone. So it has Voice Mate, Voice Command, and the possibility of adding Google Now (when I start Google icon it has a link that says "Get Google Now").

So what is the difference from the 3 and what is the best one?

thanks

Unleash your inner Nexus Warrior and just go with Google Now. (Sorry, that's a reddit thing). Google now works really well for me

Reactions: Murf1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones