Voice Navigation... beating a dead horseGeneral

Last Updated:

1. roscuthiii

roscuthiii Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm probably beating this poor dead horse here but... I came from the original EnV to the Droid Eris and had missed my VZ Navigator as it saved my bottom a few times. I was really looking forward to the Google Maps Navigator w/ voice turn-by-turn directions however, mine does not seem to be working so far.
    Downloaded the SynthesizedText to Speech... reset the phone, took out the SD card, reinstalled it, re-downloaded the TTS all to no avail. Hell, I've even spun around three times while saying text to speech backwards. Nothing has worked yet.
    Is there something I missed? Something I am missing? Is it a late April Fools' joke on me?

Advertisement
  2. tproctor

tproctor Well-Known Member

Are you on 2.1? If not, then you won't have navigation.

3. roscuthiii

Yep... on the OTA 2.1

4. tproctor

tproctor Well-Known Member

Have you upgraded Google Maps from the Market? I'd try that and if it didn't work, factory reset. If still doesn't work, trip to Verizon time.

5. bweave

bweave Well-Known Member

Just a guess but, given my experience with the OTA upgrade and other issues, you might try backing your apps and do a factory reset. I did that and found that everything smoothed out and the phone is amazing...

6. coolerinthecorner

coolerinthecorner Well-Known Member

Are you saying Navigator doesn't work at all or just that theres no TBT voice? Are you sure you don't have voice muted?

7. rvpartsguy

rvpartsguy Well-Known Member

You must download the voice add on for voice on google nav...but google should prompt you to download the first time you use
    nav
    Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

8. roscuthiii

The TBT Nav wasn't working... downlaoded the prompt, turned up all volumes... backed up and did a data factory reset (then repeated the whole process)... looks like I'm headed to Verizon next.

9. shh

shh Well-Known Member

I know this is dumb, but you did actually create a route to navigate?

10. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If the answer to SSH's question is 'yes', then there is another thing to check. The TBT has it's own volume which, as far as *I* know is only able to be adjusted while you're travelling the route - not on any other screen. So start navigating and once the map showing your route is displaying, adjust the navigation volume by using the volume buttons on the side of the phone.

11. roscuthiii

OK... I seem to be getting some voice directions now. No idea what was/has changed though.
    You know, it could just be that I'm stupid and even though I had the TTS database downloaded, and my location set to on, and the GPS on, and the navigation volume set all the way up that the navigator just won't work unless it has access to the sky for satellites.
    Yep, that's what it is! I'm just stupid; really really stupid.
    (I thank everyone for all of their help though.)