Voice Recognition Censorship

1. skwerl

skwerl Member

Why does Google insist on turning "George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words" into "####, ####, ####, ####, ####, ####, ####"?

I see no reason that my voice recognition software should CENSOR my speech.

Any comments?

Advertisement
  2. tjwoo

tjwoo Well-Known Member

Which google censorship are you talking about?
    I just spouted some expletives in to my phone using the google voice search function, and sure enough pulled up google searche results containing such expletives.
  3. dgaf98

dgaf98 Well-Known Member

mine shows #### #### too! its dumb
  4. skwerl

skwerl Member

I should have elaborated.

When I use the BUILT IN VOICE DICTATION on my HTC Evo for text messages or emails, George's Seven Dirty Words come up all #s.
  5. tenma

tenma Member

It does this to avoid potentially offending people if it incorrectly identifies something you are saying as an obscene word.
    skwerl likes this.
  6. skwerl

skwerl Member

Tenma, I understand what you meant to say, however, it is illogical.

If Google, or Android, does not want to OFFEND PEOPLE then they should assume OFFENSIVE words are NON-OFFENSIVE words.

I.E. - If someone says, "Sh*t", it should appear "sheet".

Any one else care to comment on GOOGLE'S CENSORSHIP?
  7. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member

I think they're doing the smart thing. By censoring out the words, you know their software is working correctly, but they're hedging against any accidental mis-translations.

If they substituted words, people would say their voice recognition wasn't any good.
    skwerl likes this.
  8. skwerl

skwerl Member

Braaainz, I do like your reasoning.

However, I, the user, should be given an option to toggle "offensive" or "non-offensive" language/speech. Otherwise, they are still censoring my speech; digitally.

What if Google does not know how to spell offensive language? Perhaps, any unknown words are spelled in #s.
  9. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member

They are not censoring you though. You are still free to use the keyboard to type out your expletives. If they made it impossible, THEN you might be able to make the claim.
  10. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

Sounds like it's time for a new app/mod to change that.
    skwerl likes this.
  11. skwerl

skwerl Member

Braaainz: FINE! They may not be completely censoring me, but its is truly annoying not to have an OPTION for "offensive" dictation.

SolApathy: Here, here!!
  12. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Apparently on 2.2 there is an option to turn the censorship off.
  13. emicarri

emicarri Member

from what I understand...froyo 2.2 is supposed to fix this issue and speech recognition will stop censoring cuss words. I've read this on a couple of websites, so I'm pretty sure it's true, but we won't know for sure until EVO gets the 2.0 upgrade.
  14. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

I drop f bombs when texting certain friends. It does get a little annoying but nothing too serious. A toggle would be nice for the easily offended.
  15. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I don't care that it catches the words. I do care that it sometimes censors when I'm not cursing. I don't send curse words in emails or texts, so I find it a little annoying that the software assumes it.

If I wanted to curse in an email or text, speech recognition wouldn't stop me though!
  16. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
  17. apocalypse_later

apocalypse_later Well-Known Member

This exists to stop situations where you meant to say one thing but something else comes out. "Hey mom that duck last night was great" could be pretty problematic if the voice to text got "duck" wrong. Regardless, 2.2 will let you disable this, so relax.
  18. thespasticone

thespasticone New Member

I have this issue too!

Someone do me a favor, and in your evo say "kid free night", or even just "kid" and tell me if it is censored or if this is just my issue. .
  19. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

have you adjusted the voice recognition settings in the language and voice screen in settings?
  20. thespasticone

thespasticone New Member

Sorry I just got my evo a couple of days ago, and just found out the censoring is now optional! That is awesome, I can talk about my "kid free night" again!!

Thanks for the reply!
    marctronixx likes this.