Voice recognition is MUCH improved in 1.5

Last Updated:

1. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't noticed anyone posting this so if you have avoided using Google Voice Search because it was not accurate (being nice) in version 1.1, you may want to try it in 1.5. Last weekend I attempted to show a friend how horrible the recognition was and spoke a challenging sentence which my G1 recognized with 100% accuracy. I was stunned. I am looking forward to more speech recognition in Android 2.0! :rolleyes:

Nice work!

Advertisement
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

I love voice apps...voice dial, voice search and voice maps all work really well. I haven't noticed the improvement but I will continue to use them, as they have always worked pretty well. The maps is by far the sweetest.

3. nozzer

nozzer New Member

If you talk proper, the voice recognition SUX maj0r time
    Only good for seppos.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what was the sentence? I don't suppose it was the classic example below... :D
    Voice: "How to recognize speech"
    Text: How to wreck a nice beach?

5. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Honestly I don't remember. It did involve words and numbers and it translated all correctly. In testing further with the Voice Text add-on I find that it often puts words in place of numbers and vice-versa, but acceptible for texting.

I wonder if "How to recognize speech" is hard-coded? Just tested and Google just passed with flying colors. ;)

6. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

What app are you using? Just the search app/widget?

I found a trick with the Voice Dialer. Speak the following: "call + person's name and the type of number". (mobile, home, work) that seems to help it understand.

Also I noticed last night it took forever, but i said the dial phrase just one time, and it kept "listening" but then all of a sudden it did result in the right person. So it likely has issue with some people.