Voice recognition - Motorola Milestone

Last Updated:

1. cmasmas

cmasmas Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everybody,

I'm developing an application for blind people. I've given a Motorola Milestone to do it. The problem is that it doesn't have a voice recognition engine.

If I try to use RecognizerIntent, I get the error "Recognizer not present".

Android 2.1 comes with a Voice Dialer application (from Nuances company), that works fine, but it doesn't seem to have a public intent.

Google Voice Search application is not installed, and I don't know where to get apk file.

Could anyone help me to enable Voice recognition?
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. cmasmas

Any ideas, please??

3. cmasmas

Hi again,

I would really appreciate any hints.

4. Armaced

Armaced Member

I'm confused... My Motorola Droid (US version of the Milestone) is running 2.1, and I have the option for voice input on all text fields. On the virtual keyboard, just to the left of the space bar (where the comma was in version 2.0) there is a microphone key that enables voice input. Of course, you have to press the key to call it, so I am not sure how good that would be for blind people, but the functionality is certainly there to leverage.

If you haven't already found it, this page might help:
    Speech Input | Android Developers
    There is a sample app on that page that calls voice input.

Hope this helps.

5. Armaced

Armaced Member

I'm sorry - I reread your problem and I think I missed the point with my suggestions. Since you are getting the error "Recognizer not present", it sounds like your Milestone is missing voice recognition. I searched around and it looks like Milestones in several countries (Germany, Italy, Argentina, ...) do not have voice recognition capabilities even in 2.1. I have not been able to find anything oficial about this - just messages on boards.

Example:
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/20252;jsessionid=201766ECC43FABF457EB781351A63761.node0

Sorry I couldn't help.

6. cmasmas

Thanks for your answer.
    Yeah, that's the problem. My Milestone comes from Italy, and has no voice recognition capabilities. I have thought about an application which records the voice, and sends it to a service. So, this service (on a server) processes the voice, and returns the "text" (a string) to the Android application.
    Has anyone tried something like that?

7. kayzzer

kayzzer New Member

Hi there,

I just get to your post and found you wonder about the same limitation that I had. but yesterday I was looking for the new applications on the market ( which by the way are just the free ones since I from venezuela ) and there was this one calles speak n' send. It take dictation and the text comming from that voice can be used for a SMS, twitter, mail, etc.

Of course, the app doesn

Gillette likes this.
  8. cmasmas

Hi there!

I followed your tip and it worked great. I have now voice recognition in spanish (works perfectly :D). Thank you so much!!

Gillette likes this.
  9. Lefonde

Lefonde New Member

I've registered just so I could thank you for you comment and for this thread.
    Really helped me out, and i hope it will get to as many people as possible.

10. Gillette

Gillette New Member

11. d.contrarian

d.contrarian New Member

Thank you so much to all who contributed to this thread!!!
    It totally saved my life!!!

You see, i bought Smart Keyboard PRO (absolutely recommend this all-in-one multi-language keyboard) for its EXCELLENT implementation of Google voice recognition, but i discovered it didn't work on my Milestone XT720 (singapore) due to the missing Voicesearch.apk (you see, i had tried it out on my friend's LG Optimus One).