• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice Recognition

notacoach

Android Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2012
So... it wasn't zOMG amazing on my HTC, but it was better than it is on the LG. Trying to use voice dictation/commands in the car is becoming a major frustration.

Are there ways to improve this? I'm using Switfkey for typing, but have it set to switch to Google Voice when I press the mic button (at least I'm ASSUMING it goes to Google voice, which is set to "automatic" in the keyboard settings).

Any tips? Which microphone is used for this, ie is there a good way to hold it or point it to impove things? It's really annoying to have to SCREAM a message, and still have it come up way wrong. (I'm not talking small typos, but things like "use the last room" turning into "I love you". Real example. Wtf?!)

I think it defaults to that if you have solid signal - reverts to mobile if on 3g or something like that. I'm not 100% certain as I've not poked around but on my note 3 there was a fairly significant set of files that were supposedly the voice to text engine and the training recordings

might be worth a look up with respect to nougat changes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones