Voice recognitionSupport

Last Updated:

1. fekish

fekish Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi to all,

i have a Milestone and i was wondering how can i use voice dialling on the phone? I was using it quite frequently on E71 but now i dont know how!

Also for the voice to text, i would have to have an internet connection to use it?

thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I thnk yeah you need an internet connection...just hold down the lil search touch button and voila...speak away...say "dial john" etc etc...on milestone for speech to text you may need an app for messaging and things until you get 2.1 or root the milestone...

3. fekish

ok thanks, so not even general voice commands cannot be used without internet connection?
    As voice dialling?

4. hef

hef Well-Known Member

you can do local phone searh with voice as well as voice dialling etc wihtout the internet.
    if it decides its going to google something and you have no internet then it'll sjut time out like you would logically expect a copmputer to do with no internet connection.

5. fekish

but how can i do that? i am searching but i cant find this simple thing...

6. hef

hef Well-Known Member

just hold down he search button and speak when prompted and you can use the local search and voice dialling.

7. fekish

when i hold the search button the search of google starts, nothing else...

Should i install another program to use the local search?

8. cdndave

cdndave New Member

merkman likes this.
  9. jphccfc

jphccfc Active Member

can you use the voice search via a bluetooth headset?

10. fekish

i installed the applications, but again by long pressing the search button it requires internet connection... what am i doing wrong?

I am getting really frustrated that the phone doesn't have such a simple core function...

11. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Settings>Search>Searchable Items and choose what you want to search for. Uncheck anything that might need an Internet connection.

12. fekish

thanks for the reply.

i have only contact and as soon as i press the search button it says Connection problem, thus again i cannot search without internet connection.

13. merkman

merkman Active Member

SWEET! So easy, and the voice search worked GREAT with some simple testing last night!!! Thanks man!!!

14. gamehunter

gamehunter New Member

I too have the Milestone and I cannot do anything with voice recognition. When I try to install Google Voice, it says it is only available for the US and of course I am in Canada. I am willing to try the Apk above but haven't put one in before.
    Does the milestone NOT come with voice recognition, and it's the big while elephant in the room that no one likes to discuss??
    Help!!

15. firefight16

firefight16 Active Member

No Milestone did not come with voice as the verizon edition did but someone has taken it out of a Droid Verizon and the apk works not bad you will need a program called Apps Install you can find it on market, just download apk here and copy to your sd card and run Apps install and it will see apk select install that simple, just remember that when milestone is plugged into computer that phone can not access sd card at same time.

gamehunter likes this.
  16. gamehunter

gamehunter New Member

Thanks for you help!! That file did work for the search :) Is there any way to make it on in more places, like text, email, etc? I guess it would have to be a keyboard option. I used to have a BB that ran Vlingo and that was frickin awesome!! Not expecting to get something as good as that...but I like to dictate my emails and texts as I find it is safer. Any ideas??
    Thanks!