1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Voice recorder questions

1. RRicci

RRicci Member

I made 2 recordings today that I need to email. One is in a .m4a format and the other is in a .amr format. The person I'm sending to is not very computer literate. I need to convert these to a format that the normal Windows player can play. How do I convert these? Also, why is one in .m4r and the other in a .amr format?

Advertisement
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

The different formats are of different quality. Have you tinkered with the settings? I usually get m4a if I set to medium quality, and amr for lower quality.

As for sending, probably depends on where the other person got his computer. I got my laptop already chock full of codecs when I bought it (from HP). A friend bought a different brand laptop and he had less fonts, video codecs and stuff and needed to install them himself. Although m4a is a pretty common format, I'd think Windows media player or Apple's player (whatever they call it nowadays) can both play it out of the box.
  3. RRicci

RRicci Member

No, I didn't tinker with the settings between recordings.

I'll try sending the files the way they are. If they don't work, I'll figure something out, but I'll also keep an eye on this thread