Voice search defaults to New YorkGeneral

Last Updated:

1. vap8900

vap8900 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not sure when this started happening, but it hasn't always been like this. when I press the search button and use the voice option, or if I use my voice search widget and say anything without specifying a location (e.g. "Pizza") , the results are displayed for New York City. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. If I click the "Enter Location" drop down in the google search results and force it to "Use Current Location", nothing happens. It used to know where I was and bring local results if I didn't say a location. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

This is just a wild guess, but do you have your GPS on and are you indoors? I've seen a few posts where their GPS was confused and their weather app thought they were "somewhere else" :eek::D. If so, try turning the GPS off and see if that helps.

Good luck!

3. vap8900

Thanks for the tips alien. I've tried with the GPS both on & off, indoors and outdoors, reboot, battery pull, etc, etc. My other location based apps work fine. it's just the voice search for some reason. I'll try disabling and/or removing weather apps and see what happens.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

lol, you've obviously been doing some troubleshooting already :).

Couple final ideas: have you toggled wi-fi on / off and mobile internet on / off?

Also, how about the "Location" Settings (i.e., "Use wireless networks", "Location setting" (LOCATION ON or 911 ONLY), and "Use GPS satellites"). I'm betting you've already played with these (not sure which one might be most relevant), but I just thought that I would double-check.

Cheers!

5. vap8900

Well, I tried the additional tips you gave me, but still no luck. The only thing that I haven't done is a factory reset, and I really don't want to. I guess I can live without this feature, but if anyone has any suggestions, please share.