Voice Search & Dictation

Last Updated:

1. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, we poor Rogers users did not get the voice search functionality with our version of 2.1 that others apparently have.

I know I saw a means of adding it in one of the longr threads here, but can't find it now.

Can someone point me in the direction of the method to add the voice seach and voice-to-text?

Advertisement
  2. outcastrc

outcastrc Well-Known Member

3. KyleB

KyleB Well-Known Member

clockwork58 and puleen like this.
  4. Superbrowndude

Superbrowndude Well-Known Member

Dude,download Vlingo from the market.Best Voice app Ive ever used.Ive played with alot of them.This one is epic,you can do almost anything and its speech recognizer is amazing to.Its a free app,GET IT!!!!!

5. Superbrowndude

Superbrowndude Well-Known Member

The one the other user psoted is crap,and you also get a voice button on the keyboard.

Vlingo.com

6. KyleB

KyleB Well-Known Member

Actually, I tried Vlingo and thought it sucked. Have you even bothered to try it? If you are on the google screen imbedded in the phone, you just click on the mic button by the search and speak. It works quite well.

As I recall, with Vlingo, I had to use their keyboard and could no longer use my Swype keyboard.

7. outcastrc

outcastrc Well-Known Member

On my list of mods to do is I want to get swype with voice installed then you can have the best of both worlds.

8. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Specifically I want to use Twitoc, but it says I am missing some voice recognition requirement.

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]Twitoc
    by mobicartel
    1,000 downloads, 144 ratings (3.9 avg)
    [/td][td]Free
    [​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

9. Joefloater

Joefloater Active Member

Vlingo kicks the crap out of the google voice. Using voice it texts, searches on net, opens apps, navigates, updates Twitter and Facebook, dials numbers and has an in car beta feature that is totally hands free. No you do not have to use Vlingo keyboard just put the widget on screen. I work in a noisy factory where the other voice apps won't even work, Vlingo works almost flawlessly

10. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

I get that error on the Galaxy that is still running the stock 2.1. It does work however on my Magic running 2.2. funny that...

11. puleen

puleen Well-Known Member

The Captivate is also missing the Google Voice search that is part of 2.1, not because Rogers decided not to include it but because Samsung decided to partner up with Vlingo which provides something similar.

In the end I used the same APK that KyleB provided above to get voice search running. It isn't the same as what Froyo comes with, but it is good enough for now.