• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice Search Erin vs. Aaron

Is there anyway to get Voice Search to recognize "Erin"? If I say it as it is pronounced, Voice Search transcribes "Aaron." If I say it as "ear-in" Voice Search transcribes "ear in" or "here in".

My wife's name is Erin and I would like to be able to send her messages using Voice Search.

Thoughts?

Android 4.1.1 on Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)

Thanks,
P

Difference between the 2 depend on which part of the country you live in. Those that work with linguistics say that they can tell area of country by how Merry, Mary, and Marry are pronounced.

Try saying AAHron, end EHrin and see if that helps. Make the on sound like on and in sound like in.

Upvote 0
I gave this a try and at first came up with the same results; Aaron. After a few tries I got it to work right but I had to really pronounce the e.

I grew up in NC, but I've been gone for so long that I've lost my southern accent completely (from living on the west coast for 18 years). I think having an accent might play a small part in how the speech engine picks up words.

Here's a funny for you; Was chatting with my boyfriend while he was away on a business trip, and was telling him that a few of us in our guild (World of Warcraft) worked that evening on getting some achievements done. On the last text message I tried to sound it out "Uh chiev ments", and ended up typing out the rest (barely).

429358_424123697646620_1893442509_n.jpg

This is another one from the Blizzard Armory app for World of Warcraft where it lets you chat with your guild without being logged in to the game.

421759_416188578440132_1690033238_n.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones