Voice search in car home problem

Last Updated:

1. Megasean

Megasean Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When in car home and i try to do a voice search saying "call 'john doe', mobile phone" all it does is search google for what I said. I want to call a person using my voice through car home like the example they give you on the car home menu. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, and why it gives you the option to "call ' john doe', mobile phone" if it doesn't work?

Advertisement
  2. aaronbrannt

aaronbrannt Member

I had this issue and realized that I had stored the name differently in my phone then how I was saying it. I tried calling my brother Abraham by saying "Call Abe" the name was stored as Abraham. Also, I think it works better if you just say a first name and omit last name.

3. Megasean

All of the names are right, it recognizes EXACTLY what i say, but it is searching google for what i say, not calling the person directly. The "directions to" and "navigate to" work perfectly, but the "call" does not work.

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

That's unusual. It's worked fine for me. It does give me a large number of unwanted results, but the results from my address book are always on top. Have you tried different names? Are you clearly saying "call", maybe leave a slight pause between it and the name? I'm not sure what it could be. It must be a recognition issue with the word "call", because it sounds like it's not hearing that and is just doinga basic search.

5. ginigma

ginigma Well-Known Member

Try saying DIAL <contact name>

6. Megasean

Vincentp....you are doing this in car home or through the voice dialer?

7. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I'm referring to car home. I haven't actually used the voice dialer without being in car home.

8. aaronbrannt

aaronbrannt Member

I would take it back for another unit if I were you, where did you buy it? Best Buy lets you replace it within 30 days I believe. I've tested mine a couple times trying "Call" and "Dial" and they both work while docked in the car. The only other advice that I could give you is to relax while speaking. When I try too hard to speak clearly, it doesn't understand me. But when I speak naturally it works fine.

9. soundman

soundman Member

I haven't been able to get mine to work either. It will find directions but when I say call and then someones name it always does a google search.

10. Megasean

Let me know if you find a solution. Its either our voices (mines very deep), or our phones.

11. Nidisa

Nidisa Well-Known Member

Doesn't work for me either. I wrote down the exact way a contact is entered in my list, and said it verbatim. I still get one of 2 results: (going through car home voice search)
    I say...."Call Rachael Home" : I get a list of every contact I have that has a "Home" listing

OR

I get a google search of "Rachael Home"

I've done this saying "Call Rachael Home" and "Dial Rachael Home"

12. soundman

soundman Member

Just wanted to write an update. I'm on my third phone due to various hw problems. First phone would only do a search when i said "call xxx". At the time I did not know that I could also say dial. On the second phone saying 'call' also performed a search however dial did in fact dial my contact. Tonight after receiving my third phone I tried 'call' and 'dial' both call my contact as long as i have the number entered in. No idea, but it seems like something is different between some phones. I know my second phone was 39/09 and my newest phone is a 42/09...

13. pearse12

pearse12 New Member

Where did your contacts come from? I had the same problem (all my contacts originally came from my exchange account) until I copied all my contacts over to my Google account. It has worked fine ever since.