voice search

Last Updated:

1. The Third

The Third Active Member This Topic's Starter

I received the ota for 2.2 yesterday. As the tiime my face book worked ok but now it seems to be acting up.

I also noticed an application called Voice Search

I began playing with it and found that I should download additional app voice search from market. so I did.

I watched the video that is offered on the app and then I tried it out

I live in Central Texas so I clicked on the icon and then said "liquor stores"

I got a ton of them but all of them were in and around New York City.

So.... What should I do to make the search give me things a little close to me?

Then I opened the application again and spoke into the phone and said

"Send text to Ann" (Ann is my wife's name) "this is a test"

I got a white screen that looked like this

to:

What am I doing wrong or what should I do to get this to work correctly?

Advertisement
  2. PridgNYC

PridgNYC Well-Known Member

Is her contact entry just "Ann", the contact search works best when you provide a full name.

3. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

If you do not have your settings to "Allow google to track my location" then it might b b/c of that. Set that and see if it returns liquor stores close to you.

Its possible the mic didn't pick up the word "Anne". Try saying it again more clearly, and/or including the last name (if its entered into your phone as her full name).

Edit: oh I just re-read your post. It is obvious that the phone picked up "Anne" as "and" and put it in your text. I find that sometimes if you leave a momentary pause between "to" and the name, it sometimes leaves the name field blank and puts everything you said after that in the text field. Also, it probably identified the word that it thought was "and", and decided that this probably wasn't a name, so instead put it in the text. Best solution would be pronounce words clearly and enunciate, but make sure you are speaking at a natural speed, don't think u have to talk slowly or pause a lot for it to work!

The Third likes this.
  4. cyberclaus

cyberclaus Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. This app is a turd. I think I read that it has to be a contact that you sync with google for it to work. what a waste of time. :(

5. The Third

The Third Active Member This Topic's Starter

so how do I adjust setting to say allow google to track?

6. mark20044

mark20044 Member

From the home screen, press the menu button, then select Settings>Location & security then check the first box, Use wireless networks.

Voice recognition seems to vary largely from person to person. I don't know if it's background noise, accent, or lack of enunciation, but it just doesn't understand some people.

This app works fine for me, my only complaints so far are that the Music app and the Clock app aren't compatible.