Voice to Text in 2.1

Last Updated:

1. Chuck1906

Chuck1906 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was about to come on here and praise how cool the new Voice to Text feature is in the new 2.1 update but I have found it to be a pain in the neck.

I was driving the other day and decided to use it. I spoke very slowly and enunciated the words clearly and that thing wrote something entirely different. No offense but I sounded like a slow person the way I was talking and it still typed the wrong thing!

Advertisement
  2. wolftickets

wolftickets Active Member

I agree. I expected it to help in the car but its way more dangerous than the no- look dialing of past standard handsets. Still the voice search is great and I assume it gets better all the time since Google is processing so much voice every day now. Have you had bad luck with all the voice tools on the phone?

3. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

Do you turn down your radio when using this feature? I tried it one time with it turned up and it was a mess but when its off its very accurate. I love this feature and have found it to be about 95% accurate. It saves me a lot of time. I also use it for emails.

4. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

I love it, and think 90% of the time is quite accurate. Perhaps your problem is that you are purposely talking slowly and enunciating perfectly. Try talking at a normal rate and not being overly careful with pronunciation. It's calibrated for normal human talking, not someone speaking super slowly.

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I find, versus voice dialing which blows, it is very accurate. I would also say +90% of the time it is right on.

I finally learned to talk slowly. "hello... my... name.... is... LockNLoad" not "hello my name is LockNLoad" and it gets it +90% of the time. I am rather impressed.

I do entires text messages of Google Chat (Talk) posts with it while driving.

6. Antmf

Antmf Well-Known Member

I have 2.1 where is this feature and how do I access it? Thanks...

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

it is now built into every app that takes text entry

look at the onscreen keyboard and you will now see a little microphone in lower left corner.. press and speak :)

8. mordo

mordo Member

I am not seeing this button on the Swype keyboard. I guess Swype doesn't include this feature. Anyway around that or do I need to use the Android keyboard?

Actually, it doesn't appear in gmail even with the Android keyboard enabled. It does in GTalk and GVoice. Not Gmail? That's dopey.

9. DDG

DDG Well-Known Member

I speak just slightly slower than normal, and say one sentence at a time. I find it to be very accurate.
    FYI – With radio on, or other conversations going nearby, it can be funny seeing what it picks up.