• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Voicemail Icon won't disappear

traciefly

Aug 8, 2012
I recently upgraded to a HTC Evo Design 4g through Boost Mobile and my left over voicemails from my previous phone are showing up on this phone. When I receive new voicemails on the Evo I have two voicemail icons on it. I tried everything and it won't go away. I called Boost and nothing the told me to made it go away. Someone help PLEASE.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

BTW: My voicemail is now saying SPRINT instead of Boost? Is this because of the Visual VM feature? Is this feature free?:thinking:

Lol, if you don't know how to do something, Boost will definitely not know anything either.

I had this issue on my Prevail, to fix it, Call your number from another phone and leave a voicemail. Then call your voicemail and listen to it. Keep listening until the voicemail icon has disappeared.

Try it two times if the the first doesnt work.
--
I guess boost uses sprints visual voicemail feature ?

Upvote 0
I encountered this issue when working for boost. To fix it I would get the actual voicemail number, and dial your phone number when it asks to type a number to reach the voicemail. Then leave a message, you will receive the voicemail message and when you listen to it, the icon disappears.

But you'll probably have to call boost to get the actual voicemail number.

Or try what miguelAMX said I'm not sure if it'll work but is worth a try.

Upvote 0
i did a factory reset and I went to the boost mobile store no luck. The CSR called Boost Mobile and they couldn't reset my vm or solve my issue. They suppose to contact me in 24 - 72 hrs regarding my issue which they claim is going to the engineering group to be resolved. I just recently tried a hard system reset and it went away but with my luck I'm looking for it to appear again. I found alot of issues online with upgrading to a HTC phone with Visual VM if you have current messages on your old phone they will carry over. It is happening on Virgin Mobile too. I hope this works :D

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I used a method that was posted on a sprint forum and it actually worked so far. I activated a non-smartphone and left myself a message and then deleted it. I reactivated my HTC and the messages didn't appear. Turned my phone off and on again and it didn't appear. I'm hoping this is a long term fix because it's frustrating having two different vm icons on my new phone. BTW I love the HTC and was ready to blame HTC but it's a Visual VM issue that happening to all phones that have Visual VM not just HTC. Wish me luck with the phantom vm.

Upvote 0
I have tried everything pointed out in all threads online in relation to this issue and nothing seems to work for my phone. I really wish the htc tech engineers could create some sort of patch fix to resolve this issue as these phones are still being sold at $249 with this annoying issue. Here's what I've tried and forgive me if I have forgotten one of the many ideas, but I've:

1. Left myself a vm from another line and deleted after listening to it's entirety.
  2. Replayed new vm's multiple times before deleting.
  3. Used the clear notification option in call settings.
  4. Pressed the clear notification 10+ times after clearing notification.
  5. Removed battery for 10 minutes after clearing notification, voicemail cache and data, then booting up.
  6. Called Boostmobile to remove voicemail feature for 24hrs, then having them reinstall vm feature.
  7. Called Boostmobile tech support.
  8. Called Htc tech support.
  9. Completed a soft phone reset (##25327#/Menu/reset).
  10. Completed a hard factory reset.

...And nothing has worked. Boostmobile engineers claim it's a visual voicemail feature that is pre-installed for European market, but not yet setup in USA that is creating the issue.

And what's annoying is that this is a brand new phone and I shouldn't have to be dealing with this BS.

Does anyone know of a solution for this issue? In desperate need for help.

Thanks in advance,
Unhappy user :(

Upvote 0
I had this same problem after I switched over to the design. I literally tried everything for days.it ended up being the simplest thing in the world that I didn't even know existed. I had to do it twice for some reason, but after hundreds of different "fixes", this is the one that worked. It is settings>call>clear voicemail notification.

So easy I would of never thought about it thanks bro

Upvote 0
Something that helped me was going to settings in the visual vm and find the update selection. After it updated it took care of most of the problem it only did it while driving thru a section of town and it picked up a tower.
Hope this helps.

Thanks jackbquick, but this is also something I've tried and didn't work. Just forgot to mention it with all the different ideas I've tried.

Upvote 0
I had this same problem after I switched over to the design. I literally tried everything for days.it ended up being the simplest thing in the world that I didn't even know existed. I had to do it twice for some reason, but after hundreds of different "fixes", this is the one that worked. It is settings>call>clear voicemail notification.

Yup! This was actually #3 on my list above, but only a temporary fix, minutes later the silly/annoying God forsaken notification popped in to harass me some more. :(

Upvote 0
Any luck with this yet?
I've had this going on for 3 months and finally got irritated enough with checking my voicemail 6 or 7 times a day due to a new alert that I started trying to fix it.
Called Boost three times:

Call 1) Told there was an update landing in 24 hrs. It would fix itself. Heard of that excuse being given before but wth?

Call 2, 25 hrs later) Told there was not actually any update but they would reset my voicemail, icon returned within 15 minutes

Call 3) Told to use the settings>call>clear icon thing. The guy was so smug in telling me that it woud never come back that I actually asked for his name. It returned in 29 minutes and subsequently comes back 30-90 minutes after every time using that method.

Has anyone had any luck getting them to actually figure this out?

Upvote 0
I also tried every thing, the best way is to get a old Boost phone turn it on call it from another phone give yourself a VM lisen to it then delete it cut your other phone back on...no more icon...I knew this worked because a Boost dealer wanted to charge me to to it so I just bought a factor for 20 bucks. did it myself

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones