Voicemail Notification won't go awaySupport

Last Updated:

1. XSafre

XSafre New Member This Topic's Starter

I've read several threads on this here, and posted it on XDA, but no one seems to be able to help me.

I have a notification that I got randomly about a day after using my phone (Nexus One) for the first time. It says

New Voicemail
    Dial "Google Voice Number"

Google voice number being my google voice number.

I've called my voicemail (google voicemail), left a message, and then listened to it, and the notification is still there.

Now this is where I think the problem lies:

I had my phone set up to use google voicemail. When I installed gv, it automatically adjusted from at&t voicemail to google voicemail. After recieving the notification, I tried changing back to at&t vm (#004#), and then seeing if that is where the notification is coming from. I tried:

- Holding the 1 button
    - Hitting the voicemail icon
    - Hitting the notification
    - dialing my normal number (this gets me to at&t voicemail, but I'm leaving a message, not checking voicemails)

All of those but the last one call my gv number. For the life of me I can't call my at&t vm. I checked on the gv website and it says google voicemail is not activated for my phone currently.

1.) Model Number: Nexus One
    2.) Firmware Version: 2.2
    3.) Baseband Version: 32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04 (New korean radio)
    4.) Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-27227-g3c98b0d android-builde@apa26 #1
    5.) Build Number: FRF91 (Stock image from ROM Manager)

Advertisement
  2. scribble79

scribble79 Active Member

sorry mine is working, just impatient

3. Maris

Maris Well-Known Member

Usually those notifications will go away if you click on them. What happens when you click on it? Does it take you to voicemail? If so, maybe listening to your voicemail from the notification will clear it. I guess you have already tried the "clear" button from the notification bar?

4. XSafre

XSafre New Member This Topic's Starter

yeah I tried hitting it, and when there is a clear button (only if I have another notification) it doesn't clear it.

When it calls my google voicemail it says that I have no new messages.

5. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

I had this same problem with my providor VM. The solution was to call my number and leave a new VM. Callback VM and listen to the message, delete it. Cleared the notification for me.

6. flyfritha

flyfritha New Member

Here's what I did to clear my Voicemail notification (if using Google Voice):

I logged in to Google Voice website, went to Options-->Voice Settings-->Phones, then disabled 'Your Google Voice Number' (you'll turn it back on later).

Call your own phone using a different phone and leave a message to yourself and then hang up. Using your handset, call your carrier's VM (mine is Sprint) and listen to the message you just left, and once that is completed, delete it.

The VM notification should now be gone.

You can now go back into Google Voice online and re-enable/activate your GV account.

Ryan95i4 likes this.
  7. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Well-Known Member

This occurs if you hang up with Google Voice before it has a chance to reset the VM indicator on your phone. flyfritha actually has a pretty good way to reset the indicator. The way it is working is because it forces the VM indicator to zero when you listen to the one on the Sprint system. Quite clever actually.

The docs with Sprint's KB system will instruct the tech to hard reset your phone in order to clear it as there is nothing in the menu to do so. I am wondering if you could also just Clear Data on the Voice app.... will have to check this out when I play with the phone again tomorrow.

8. Azelis

Azelis Well-Known Member

I tried clearing data on the Voice app and it came back after a while. This time I cleared the data and rebooted the phone before it could come back. So far so good....

Clear the data on Dialer, not Dialer Storage.

9. sailorjoe

sailorjoe New Member

Droid X first edition with all the updates has the voice mail notification issue frequently described in this forum - it won't shut off. Tried all the suggestions to reset it, nothing works. Google need to find a fix as this sucks.

10. Ryan95i4

Ryan95i4 Member

Just bumping this because I found this thread in a google search when i had the same issue on my galaxy nexus on verizon after someone fwd'd me a voicemail from their verizon vm

This is the fix that worked for me, thanks.

For anyone looking, the path names are slightly different now, its now Settings--> Phone --> Deactivate Google Voicemail on This Phone and then obviously Activate Google Voicemail on the Phone after you've cleared the voicemail notification from the carrier voicemail.

11. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Active Member

Having the same problem with Galaxy s2 with Bell. Set up voicemail. Had one message, when I deleted it it still showed the notification. I have since tried to leave subsequent messages, then deleting them, but the notification is still there and grayed out. Any thoughts?