• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voicemail Problem - Setup - on Sprint HTC Hero

I haven't setup my voicemail yet on my new Sprint HTC Hero.

Here's the problem I'm having:

I click on the Voicemail Icon, and there's a pop-up message that states:

^ Check for upgrade.

An upgrade is now available

[Upgrade button]
When I tap on this "Upgrade" button, I get the following warning:

^ Install blocked

For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market.
I get a warning message again when selecting to change the settings and checking the box allowing it to do so.

What is going on here?

I can't use, or setup, my voicemail?

EDIT:

I've gone ahead, changed the settings to allow the non-Android download, checked the box to change these settings (I should probably uncheck it now that the new voicemail has been downloaded), and now the voicemail is working.

I assume this was okay to do because it was probably an HTC voicemail software upgrade and that's why I had to accept the warning of downloading something "non-Android" at this time.

Correct?

Also, should I go back into settings and change:

Menu --> Settings --> Applications (Manage Applications) --> Unknown Sources

Should I uncheck this box now?

It was unchecked before, but I checked it to download the voicemail upgrade.

I think the best thing to do is switch it back to the default so I get the warning about non-Android downloads

Correct? Concur? Agree?

I've had the same problem, only after I did what you did, in regard to checking the "don't download non-Android" box, it gets stuck on downloading whatever it's supposed to download. Later (hours or days, depending on when I need to check my voicemail) I just wind up cancelling the bloody download, and then it gets stuck on the cancelling option.

Until I take out the battery to reset and then it asks me to download but not if it means checking the "don't download non-Android" box, and I get to go through the same garbage all over again.

Upvote 0
As I've written, I tried the "take out the battery" step, but it didn't solve much. However what finally worked is turning off the power, as opposed to doing so via removing the battery. Turn it on again after a few minutes. I got this idea from another message on these boards. And it finally got rid of this problem!

To turn it off, hold the red button on the lower right until the power off menu comes up and then select the option to turn off the phone.

Upvote 0
For some reason when I did the update it made my hero start draining my battery again since I patched this issue earlier. Just a note. I also got the update window, checked the box to let non-android software install, and it updated, afterwards I checked if it affected my battery and it did for some reason. I ended factory resetting it again which let my battery sleep again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones