Root voicemail update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by novox77, Sep 10, 2010.

1. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    VIP Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Last week, I got a notification that an upgrade was available for the voicemail app, which I believe is Sprint_VVM.apk under /system/app. I accepted the update. But I am curious as to how the updater was able to write to the /system area on a stock phone where superuser is not present. Is there a secret root password that Sprint has access to on a stock phone?

Or is it that an apk signed properly can always be installed to /system?

Also, did anyone notice that the volume is now really low when listening to your voicemail? Speakerphone is fine; i'm talking about listening through the earpiece.

Advertisement
  2. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    NYC
    I don't have an answer for you but I am just curious why you prefer Sprint VVM over Google Voice? I have never used Sprint VVM so thats why I ask.

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    VIP Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Sprint VVM was what came with the phone, and I never thought about using Google Voice. I suppose I could try it, but is there anything groundbreaking about it over the stock Sprint VVM?

4. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    NYC
    The main feature that I like is that it logs all missed calls that hit the voicemail line even if your phone was off at the time and/or the caller didn't leave a voicemail. IMO, the transcription feature isn't as good as it can be but its been getting better.

5. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

May 31, 2010
    OH--IO
    What the Google voice VVM like? How's it work?

6. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    NYC
    Its basically Sprint VVM with alot more features like transcription. You also do not have to delete old voicemails because they are stored online. Google assigns you a number and you enable free conditional call forwarding to that number. Thats all. Give it a try, I think you will like it.

Putty likes this.
  7. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

May 31, 2010
    OH--IO
    So people call my actual phone number and the voicemails are handled by GV? I use GV for some calls and texts. How do I switch the VVM to it or use it to see the messages?

8. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    NYC
    Just dial *28xxxxxxxxxx from your EVO (your GV number is the Xs). Then you have to go into your GV settings online and set it to go straight to voicemail. I also recommend setting missed calls to show in your inbox.

9. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member
    Contributor

Jan 11, 2010
    Male
    Waco, TX
    i got the notification today, to update.. but it fails on the install.. any idea?

10. mdwamp

mdwamp Active Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Last night, I flashed myns 2.2. Immediately after reboot, I noticed a notification that a mandatory voicemail available. I am using google voice, but haven't removed stock vm app.

Has anyone experienced any adverse effects by accepting this update?

Thanks in advance,

11. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I am on two-point-two and Kings 11..... I accepted the update and it's working fine... It adds text transcription service for a month for free... Not sure what the price will be after the free month but I am testing it out...

No issues thus far and it's working great...

mdwamp likes this.
  12. mdwamp

mdwamp Active Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Thank you for the response. I may give the transcription service a try. Google seems a bit inaccurate.

13. madiom

madiom Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Project Manager
    I have the same issue. I keep trying it because the damn notification wont go away, but it still doesn't work.

14. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Security Engineer
    Georgia
    if you can not get it to work, hold on bc it will be released as an apk or a zip file. some roms wont allow sprint updates

15. teknagen

teknagen Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Socal OC
    I got that message earlier today also. If you deleted sprint updater and maybe sprint zone? You won't be able to update unless you get the apk file.

I used titanium backup had froze those app. So I just unfroze them and updated with no problems. Then froze theme back up because I use google voice ;)

vrvallejo likes this.
  16. madiom

madiom Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Project Manager
    Don tmean to hijack the thread but I just tried this now my VM doesnt work at all, how do I reverse the *28 code?

17. acoleman1981

acoleman1981 New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    *38 and it will hang up when finished, only takes a few seconds.

madiom likes this.
  18. vrvallejo

vrvallejo Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Unfreezing those (did both) did the trick, been rooted so long forgot those were frozen!

Tags: