• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root voicemail update

novox77

Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Jul 7, 2010
Last week, I got a notification that an upgrade was available for the voicemail app, which I believe is Sprint_VVM.apk under /system/app. I accepted the update. But I am curious as to how the updater was able to write to the /system area on a stock phone where superuser is not present. Is there a secret root password that Sprint has access to on a stock phone?

Or is it that an apk signed properly can always be installed to /system?

Also, did anyone notice that the volume is now really low when listening to your voicemail? Speakerphone is fine; i'm talking about listening through the earpiece.

Last week, I got a notification that an upgrade was available for the voicemail app, which I believe is Sprint_VVM.apk under /system/app. I accepted the update. But I am curious as to how the updater was able to write to the /system area on a stock phone where superuser is not present. Is there a secret root password that Sprint has access to on a stock phone?

Or is it that an apk signed properly can always be installed to /system?

Also, did anyone notice that the volume is now really low when listening to your voicemail? Speakerphone is fine; i'm talking about listening through the earpiece.

I don't have an answer for you but I am just curious why you prefer Sprint VVM over Google Voice? I have never used Sprint VVM so thats why I ask.

Upvote 0
I don't have an answer for you but I am just curious why you prefer Sprint VVM over Google Voice? I have never used Sprint VVM so thats why I ask.

Sprint VVM was what came with the phone, and I never thought about using Google Voice. I suppose I could try it, but is there anything groundbreaking about it over the stock Sprint VVM?

Upvote 0
Sprint VVM was what came with the phone, and I never thought about using Google Voice. I suppose I could try it, but is there anything groundbreaking about it over the stock Sprint VVM?

The main feature that I like is that it logs all missed calls that hit the voicemail line even if your phone was off at the time and/or the caller didn't leave a voicemail. IMO, the transcription feature isn't as good as it can be but its been getting better.

Upvote 0
What the Google voice VVM like? How's it work?

Its basically Sprint VVM with alot more features like transcription. You also do not have to delete old voicemails because they are stored online. Google assigns you a number and you enable free conditional call forwarding to that number. Thats all. Give it a try, I think you will like it.

Reactions: Putty
Upvote 0
So people call my actual phone number and the voicemails are handled by GV? I use GV for some calls and texts. How do I switch the VVM to it or use it to see the messages?

Just dial *28xxxxxxxxxx from your EVO (your GV number is the Xs). Then you have to go into your GV settings online and set it to go straight to voicemail. I also recommend setting missed calls to show in your inbox.

Upvote 0
I am on two-point-two and Kings 11..... I accepted the update and it's working fine... It adds text transcription service for a month for free... Not sure what the price will be after the free month but I am testing it out...

No issues thus far and it's working great...

Thank you for the response. I may give the transcription service a try. Google seems a bit inaccurate.

Upvote 0
I got that message earlier today also. If you deleted sprint updater and maybe sprint zone? You won't be able to update unless you get the apk file.

I used titanium backup had froze those app. So I just unfroze them and updated with no problems. Then froze theme back up because I use google voice ;)

Unfreezing those (did both) did the trick, been rooted so long forgot those were frozen!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones