• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VOIP Advice - Android to PC

dale282

Lurker
Aug 26, 2010
Hello!

(Have tried various searches for this and not come up with anything - maybe i've got the wrong search terms...?)

Anyhow, in the continued absence of a decent skype app, I'm trying to find a fairly straightforward way of doing (free?) voip from my android 1.6 to my friend's windows xp pc in argentina?

very preferably over 3g at my end too? my searches so far have led me to believe this might be possible in sip (although i know very little about it and am also having trouble finding 'idiots' guides...)

can anyone recommend any applications/how to's - both for my android, and for my friend's pc?

many many thanks in advance.

Hello!

(Have tried various searches for this and not come up with anything - maybe i've got the wrong search terms...?)

Anyhow, in the continued absence of a decent skype app, I'm trying to find a fairly straightforward way of doing (free?) voip from my android 1.6 to my friend's windows xp pc in argentina?

very preferably over 3g at my end too? my searches so far have led me to believe this might be possible in sip (although i know very little about it and am also having trouble finding 'idiots' guides...)

can anyone recommend any applications/how to's - both for my android, and for my friend's pc?

many many thanks in advance.

One app will be Nimbuzz that has Skype integration and will allow you to use Skype-Skype calling as well as Skype-Out.

If you cannot get that, you can use Skype ToGo number to call skype users.

To use Skype to go you have to buy a Skyp Out package like Unlimited Europe, World etc. When you have that you can set up a Skype ToGo number for you country of residence. It will be a land line number that you can call using your minutes. On-line you can set up favourite numbers to call through Skype ToGo number and you can add Skype users as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip Szadzik! In fact I've just tried Nimbuzz but unfortunately I can't say I was impressed - initiating a call from android didn't work at all, and receiving a call from a pc resulted in a 3 second voice delay on both sides.

There must be some way of doing android to pc voip by using something other than skype???

Although having said that, I do wish skype would hurry up and sort their app out - I've seen 'by the end of the year' reported but no updates on progress since may.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones