1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

VOIP calls on Evo with no cell service

Last Updated:

1. RowdyPants

RowdyPants Active Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 1, 2010
    i'm trying to set up a HTC Evo to make voip calls purely over wifi (the phone has no cellular service) but most of the guides use Gizmo5, and they aren't taking any more registrations.

i did a little searching around and found this post that had a link to a free phone number (i think) from sipgate. do i use this in place of Gizmo5 and just follow the rest of the instructions? a lot of these guides are a very dense block of text. i like pictures.

my ultimate goal is to be able to set up my friends Evo to send/receive texts and calls, over wifi, for free. are there any up-to-date guides to do that?

P.S. he does not have a phone number right now, as his phone is off his parents family plan. if a valid phone number is required (like when setting up google voice) we could use his girlfriends cell. however i would like to make sure that if we use her number it would be for validation and thats it. i wouldn't want her to be able to mess up his phone if they break up or something.