• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VOIP question

2acclaim

Sep 2, 2010
I've searched and seen the popup about similar questions but don't really have an answer.

Anyhow, here's my deal maybe someone can help direct me to what I'm looking for.

I've been on the same phone plan for close to 17 years, same # same carrier etc. It's been a sweet deal for the most part since I'm a light user of phone time.

I pay $10 a month for 'service', I only pay .11 a minute for time talked which normally runs around 100 minutes a month. Average phone bill before getting an android phone was around $25. Well I added text for $5 and now the monthly data plan for $30. Out of the 5gb limit i used .160gb on average per month.

I've had google voice for a while so i turned off texting and now use that number for texting(which works really sweet) other than people complaining that I have a new # to text/call to.

Is there anyway to utilize the data package to use some sort of VOIP calling instead of my per minute charge? Either to reduce or eliminate the per minute charge?

If someone can help steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones