• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
hi,
1. my device as been "rooted" for little changes, i don't need root access anymore but i want to change my changes,
is "rooting" really avoid the warranty?
if so, i'm kind of remember reading i can "unroot" and still save the changes and get the warranty back (but i didn't found this page again), any way it is true?

2 (and way more important for me).
my mom is out of the US right now and i talk with her on the iPhone through Skype (over 3G, i don't have Wifi at work).
i own Vibrant at T-Mobile so i dont think i can use skype but i dont mind to tell her to install some other software on her computer, the question is what app i can install on my Vibrant that let me voice call computer software, over 3G...

many many (MANY!) thanks :)

Upvote 0
hi,
1. my device as been "rooted" for little changes, i don't need root access anymore but i want to change my changes,
is "rooting" really avoid the warranty?
if so, i'm kind of remember reading i can "unroot" and still save the changes and get the warranty back (but i didn't found this page again), any way it is true?

2 (and way more important for me).
my mom is out of the US right now and i talk with her on the iPhone through Skype (over 3G, i don't have Wifi at work).
i own Vibrant at T-Mobile so i dont think i can use skype but i dont mind to tell her to install some other software on her computer, the question is what app i can install on my Vibrant that let me voice call computer software, over 3G...

many many (MANY!) thanks :)

you can do skype like calling with android... just get to the market and download FRING you can check it out here before you download : fring - free video calls, IM - Cyrket

or try this app : http://www.androidfreeware.org/download/skype-lite-beta-1.0.0.5

Upvote 0
fring don't do skype any more.
i found nimbuzz for that but it works really bad... many bugs like the other side cant hear me until i press mute and unmute, on 3G network theres a HUGE lag that i didn't had with the iPhone and skype program.

but, again, this is the only thing i found work right now.

Upvote 0
fring don't do skype any more.
i found nimbuzz for that but it works really bad... many bugs like the other side cant hear me until i press mute and unmute, on 3G network theres a HUGE lag that i didn't had with the iPhone and skype program.

but, again, this is the only thing i found work right now.

For fring I said skype "like" calling and that is why I also posted the skype lite beta app on there... as for the actual skype app seems that is only available for verizon users at the moment....

Upvote 0
Doesn't Google Voice have an option for VoIP? I forget.

Off topic a bit, anyone know what t-mobiles return policy is on a new account? Is it 14 days or 30?

Google Voice does not, but they do own Gizmo5 now, which is a SIP service. The problem there is you get unlimited inbound, and super cheap outbound, but since having been purchased by Google, they've stopped offering the ability to buy minutes at all, with no ETA on its return.

Upvote 0
Doesn't Google Voice have an option for VoIP? I forget.

Off topic a bit, anyone know what t-mobiles return policy is on a new account? Is it 14 days or 30?

It depends upon the state where you bought your phone. For example, a Tmo rep originally told me I had a 14 day return/cancellation period but a supervisor later corrected that by saying, "since you are in California you actually have 30 days..."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones