VOIP w/ TMobile

Last Updated:

1. MouseDroid

MouseDroid New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm hoping to get the Vibrant soon. I need to know if there are any good free VOIP apps(?Fring) that are compatible w/ TMo. I guess Skype currently only works on Verizon.

Thanks!
    DM

Advertisement
  2. v4705

v4705 Member

hi,
    1. my device as been "rooted" for little changes, i don't need root access anymore but i want to change my changes,
    is "rooting" really avoid the warranty?
    if so, i'm kind of remember reading i can "unroot" and still save the changes and get the warranty back (but i didn't found this page again), any way it is true?

2 (and way more important for me).
    my mom is out of the US right now and i talk with her on the iPhone through Skype (over 3G, i don't have Wifi at work).
    i own Vibrant at T-Mobile so i dont think i can use skype but i dont mind to tell her to install some other software on her computer, the question is what app i can install on my Vibrant that let me voice call computer software, over 3G...

many many (MANY!) thanks :)

3. brodie7838

brodie7838 Member

What kind of VoIP are you wanting? As you mentioned, no Skype sadly. I have a SIP server I can register to, and so far have been very happy with 3CX's Android softphone (free).

4. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

you can do skype like calling with android... just get to the market and download FRING you can check it out here before you download : fring - free video calls, IM - Cyrket

or try this app : http://www.androidfreeware.org/download/skype-lite-beta-1.0.0.5

5. v4705

v4705 Member

fring don't do skype any more.
    i found nimbuzz for that but it works really bad... many bugs like the other side cant hear me until i press mute and unmute, on 3G network theres a HUGE lag that i didn't had with the iPhone and skype program.

but, again, this is the only thing i found work right now.

6. ThreeDog

ThreeDog Well-Known Member

yes rooting voids the warranty of the phone same as jailbreaking voids a i-phone.
    and yes you can reverse the process (unroot / reroot ).

7. dzine2fit

dzine2fit Well-Known Member

I had skype on my cliq but on samsung vibrant market I cant find it :( How can we register SIP, I downloaded fring, and it shows sip username,pw andproxy server address. So where do I register?

8. v4705

v4705 Member

^

9. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

For fring I said skype "like" calling and that is why I also posted the skype lite beta app on there... as for the actual skype app seems that is only available for verizon users at the moment....

10. brodie7838

brodie7838 Member

You have to have a SIP provider. Look up SIP VoIP service on the web, you'll see what I mean. It's usually a monthly phone service.

11. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

Doesn't Google Voice have an option for VoIP? I forget.

Off topic a bit, anyone know what t-mobiles return policy is on a new account? Is it 14 days or 30?

12. brodie7838

brodie7838 Member

Google Voice does not, but they do own Gizmo5 now, which is a SIP service. The problem there is you get unlimited inbound, and super cheap outbound, but since having been purchased by Google, they've stopped offering the ability to buy minutes at all, with no ETA on its return.

13. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

It depends upon the state where you bought your phone. For example, a Tmo rep originally told me I had a 14 day return/cancellation period but a supervisor later corrected that by saying, "since you are in California you actually have 30 days..."