Volume buttons on Galaxy S3 doesn't muteSupport

1. ocallm

ocallm New Member

Hi, new to android and this forum so appreciate any help offered.

On my Galaxy S3 with ICS the volume button allowed me to reduce volume to vibrate and pressing it again put the phone in mute. I now notice that it only reduces to vibrate and pressing it again does not allow mute. Could this be a feature of Jellybean which was installed recently?

I can still mute from settings...but the side volume button was really handy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
  2. whatsername

whatsername New Member

Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem since updating. Anyone know if there's a way around this?
  3. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Well-Known Member

Not that it helps but I can confirm that on ICS you can go all the way down to mute so it's not your memory faulting. There was a change if you cannot do it now.

I am on Verizon in the USA.
  4. syrupnhoney

syrupnhoney New Member

i have just experienced the same problem! been woke up early on my day off by a vibrating phone! I just messed around and have discovered if you press and hold the off button on the right hand side of the phone, at the bottom of the menu about flight mode etc you can simply press mute :) hope this helps!
  5. StewartGriffin

StewartGriffin New Member

Yes, this feature does sadly seem to have been removed. I hope they bring it back.

One quick way to mute, which I think is new to Jelly Bean S3, is to hold the power button down until a menu panel pops up and then select mute from the three volume options at the bottom of this menu. I am guessing this is meant to be the replacement for the feature they have taken out. I hope that helps.
  6. timeless5397

timeless5397 New Member

I updated my mom's phone to jellybean a while ago and the volume rocker still mutes all the sounds. But on my phone which is also on jelly bean, the phone won't mute. So something is wrong but I can't figure it out. So I don't know. can someone please figure it out?
  7. legalkill

legalkill Well-Known Member

My down volume button will set to vibrate and mute. On verizon stock multi window update. Only app that i have that affects volume is the app that kills the low ringing volume at call start.
  8. philayl

philayl Well-Known Member

You can just pull down the main screen and mute from the menu bar across the top of the screen. Phil