• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Volume Decreases when I Plug in Headphones

chenry888

Jul 1, 2010
I always have my volume settings set to the max on my GS3. However, when I plug my headphones or Aux cable into the phone's headphone jack, the phone automatically decreases the sound volume to about 75% and I have to manually increase it to 100%.

Even after increasing to 100%, it will go back to 75% after I unplug my headphones/aux cable and plug them back in.

It is really annoying that it will not save my audio settings. Can anyone help me lock the audio settings?

Thanks!

Yes in fact when i increase the volume, the phone even pops a message telling me that my ears can get hurt if i listen to loud. lol

But I guess my questions is, how do I get it to remember what my volume settings are for headphones. Or, can I just have the volume be the same whether I have headphones or not.

Upvote 0
I've begun to notice Samsung's weird little Asian quirks like this. All of TouchWiz basically screams "Look, I'm trying to be useful! I know I'm not iPhone, but you will like me!" like some overeager kid.

I'm going to try to write a workaround with tasker. I use CarDockv3 and it sets the volume, but Samy is forcing me to turn it up again manually...When you have your stereo plugged in you want it at max volume for better quality...

Reactions: chenry888
Upvote 0
I am in the US. I agree with every here saying how annoying it is and the car stereo is is exactly why.

@exwifeusesiphone - I hope you get to that workaround!

This happens with both my bluetooth and 3.5mm when I start playing the audio in the car which is where I use my phone audio 98% of the time. Definitely a very annoying "feature". Aside from Tasker which seems like overkill to fix this one issue (bug IMHO), are there any other options?

Upvote 0
It's annoying, imo. I understand their reasoning and I understand some like it. But it is unnecessary nannying and it should be something I can select off, IMO.

The amount of effort required to turn it down so as to protect your ears is the same amount of effort required to turn it up. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm going to try to write a workaround with tasker. I use CarDockv3 and it sets the volume, but Samy is forcing me to turn it up again manually...When you have your stereo plugged in you want it at max volume for better quality...

Always a tick or two below max volume for me. I let my "good amp" (car stereo, headphone amp, etc.) take care of the rest.

Upvote 0
I didn't start this thread to debate whether or not Samsung should have enabled this "feature". I started this thread to find out if there is a way to stop it - for any reason that I want (I personally never use headphones) - or that anyone else wants.

Anyway, I never heard of Tasker until now (Thanks guys) seems like a sweet app. Expensive though but I could see that it can change my whole Android Experience. I'll have to think about it and maybe wait for another resolution.

Upvote 0
I didn't start this thread to debate whether or not Samsung should have enabled this "feature". I started this thread to find out if there is a way to stop it - for any reason that I want (I personally never use headphones) - or that anyone else wants.

Anyway, I never heard of Tasker until now (Thanks guys) seems like a sweet app. Expensive though but I could see that it can change my whole Android Experience. I'll have to think about it and maybe wait for another resolution.

Yeah it's more expensive than a lot of apps but it's so useful. I never have to change the volume on my phone now as it does it all for me, it's great.

I have other useful profiles as such as when I plug in my headphones or connect to my Bluetooth speaker at home, it starts spotify for me.

Upvote 0
The amount of effort required to turn it down so as to protect your ears is the same amount of effort required to turn it up. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Always a tick or two below max volume for me. I let my "good amp" (car stereo, headphone amp, etc.) take care of the rest.

No, I didn't make a mountain out of a molehill. I simply said it was annoying. Nothing more. And it is. It isn't a big deal though, but someone brought it up, so I commented.

Don't make a mountain out of the molehill of my comment. ;)

You should get Tasker, it's useful for many other tasks. It a well worth application for the money it costs.

As for the solution, thanks for the tips about tasker.

Justin

Upvote 0
No, I didn't make a mountain out of a molehill. I simply said it was annoying. Nothing more. And it is. It isn't a big deal though, but someone brought it up, so I commented.

Don't make a mountain out of the molehill of my comment. ;)

As for the solution, thanks for the tips about tasker.

Justin

Agree with you on this one. It's more of an annoyance than anything IMO. I normally use the headphones when I'am doing something else really loud like running the the weedeater, mowing or working with loud power tools and I need the volume up to over come the external noise. The should be a box one could check to acknowledge they understand the risk, blah blah and the setting would be left ALONE. Tasker sounds like the answer though!

Upvote 0
Agree with you on this one. It's more of an annoyance than anything IMO. I normally use the headphones when I'am doing something else really loud like running the the weedeater, mowing or working with loud power tools and I need the volume up to over come the external noise. The should be a box one could check to acknowledge they understand the risk, blah blah and the setting would be left ALONE. Tasker sounds like the answer though!

I'd recommend you getting a good set of noise-isolating earbuds (read: NOT noise-cancelling). You don't have to spend a lot, but fighting noise with noise is a terrible, terrible idea.

Upvote 0
I had to laugh at myself when I read this thread. I consider myself a seasoned Android user (12 handsets and 6 different models over the years) and I could NOT figure out why my dang volume wasn't at max in the car. Even after I tapped the NFC tag I have in my car that I have reprogrammed twice to set the volume to max (thought maybe I messed up the NFC tag the first 2 times).

Now I understand. Sure the NFC sets it to max but THEN I plug in my 3.5mm cable to the car stereo and boom I'm back at 50% volume. Sigh. Plug in cable, THEN tap NFC tag. Or just get tasker. Got it.

I agree, not a terrible idea most of the time (like when I unplug from my stereo and Spotify decides to unpause loudly) but it's not always perfect for everyone.

BTW - for those not familiar w Tasker, it's freaking awesome but be ready for a learning curve if you haven't done much programming.

Cheers all. Thanks for allowing me to see a little more of the forest. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones