Volume on speakers and headhones low

Last Updated:

1. hillgj1

hillgj1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All, Just got my Desire and impressed thus far apart from the volume! the earbuds that come with and also a set of Sony speakers I have even at full volume are very quiet (much quieter than my Ipod Touch) is anyone having the same issue or is there a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. MDKtm

MDKtm Member

I found it was the headphones with me. I bought some noise canceling in-ear earphones (

3. ElJudge

ElJudge Member

I'd be interested to know which set you've bought, as I've tried a few pairs to no avail...am willing to take a punt on the ones you've got, if they come recommended?

4. czechplastik

czechplastik Well-Known Member

I'm using Sennheiser CX200's and they're great, recommend those to anyone.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Download audio manager and check all the volumes on that first, because my Desire at full volume will blow my head off...

6. tomq

tomq Well-Known Member

I just removed the HTC earbuds and soldered on some skullcandies earbuds, now I have a very good sounding earphones with a remote and microphone

7. MaxIsBored

MaxIsBored Member

I also find thatthe volume on my desire is much quieter than that on my iPhone, zune or anything else i plug my headphones into.. anyone got any other ideas?

8. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

Same here, quite quiet.

9. MaxIsBored

MaxIsBored Member

It could be a combination of the low volume, and my bad hearing as a drummer - but as a result, I don't use my desire as a media player anymore. This is EXTREMELY discouraging, and certainly would have had an impact on which phone I was to buy. HTC - if you're out there, fix this shit! This is the quietest phone or mp3/cd/walkman/ ANY device i've ever put to my ears and it's very disappointing.
    :(

10. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

I am with Lekky on this one. I have a pair of in-ear Tunebuds and have one or 2 songs that I can take to 3/4 volume before it is tooooo loud. Most of my listening is around 50% volume, some at 25%. Perhaps deafness is an issue or perhaps just a better set of ear-phones, since we know that no phone ships with very good headsets?

11. MaxIsBored

MaxIsBored Member

Heh, i'm definitely not deaf. I have sennheiser cx500 noise canceling phones. Even if i was deaf, the phone is significantly quieter than any other phone or device i've ever owned. Maybe the manufacturer screwed up on a lot of them, but i've had many friends try the phone and they all agree it's as loud as their ipod/whatever on half volume :/

12. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

Must be a hiccup on yours or a firmware glitch. Let's hope so. I find mine quieter than my iPhone and iPod, but even with them i never take it above half. Good luck bud, let's see what 2.2 does to help out.

13. nightwalkerone

nightwalkerone Member

i tried downloading audio manager, but it shows that all the volumes are at full strength..
    my issue is more with the loudspeaker though. my last phone was a nokia and when it rang (i had it at full volume) i could hear it when i was in another room.
    but with the desire, the speaker seems much softer and quieter (and tin-ier) so i am wondering.. was my last phone louder than most, or this phone quieter than most?

14. MaxIsBored

MaxIsBored Member

I've found volume issues with the desire in quite a few places. I just rooted my phone and while it could be my imagination, I think it helped. Heh, but it's still not as loud as my zune, or my 5$ chIpod$

15. teapot

teapot Member

Hopefully some clever person will come up with a quality replacement speaker, I have that done right away, I am stuck with this for 24 months otherwise...........
    23 months 20 days until I can upgrade to something that actually works as a good phone

16. shmiggins

shmiggins New Member

Same here, it started happening last weekend, which was the first time I recycled the power on the Desire, I reckon it was one of the more useless apps I have downloaded that has messed it up. I notice that the volume is higher just after powering on, after some use - stopping starting radio apps etc, the thing starts outputting much quieter audio. Will try uninstalling some of this dung to see what has caused the problem and let you know.

17. mecanician

mecanician Member

Just found this perhaps all new phones music players are regulated

EU sponsored research by the Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR) identified that when used in noisy enviroments people favoured a playback volume which is greater than 80dB(A). This is the maximum noise level in permitted the workplace before a risk assessment and noise mitigation is required, either in terms of hearing protection or exposure limitation.

18. MaxIsBored

MaxIsBored Member

Well, the sound coming out of my phone is surely not low due to physical limitations. Someone make an app to fix this!

19. ynwa

ynwa Well-Known Member

I think this has been the case for a few years now? But my Desire is much much lower than my old Nokia N95. Both the speaker (which shouldnt come under any EU regulations) and over the headphones is by far too low. I use Sennheiser CX500s too. Good sounding headphones which were superb in my last phone, but just not really worth listening to on the Desire.

20. MaxIsBored

MaxIsBored Member

Agreed with ywna, the volume doesn't get loud enough to even put the headphones to use. HTC needs to be notified and fix this!

21. MaxIsBored

MaxIsBored Member

22. biker74

biker74 Well-Known Member Contributor

Yep, I started a thread on this last week, but will add to yours. I have also entered a post on the HTC Forum and submitted an issue report to HTC support. It might be interesting to see what our serial numbers are - perhaps from the same batch.

23. MaxIsBored

MaxIsBored Member

right on! let us know how the issue report goes!

24. sare99

sare99 Well-Known Member

I don't use the headphones that came with the phone and I think the volume on the Desire sucks too so much so that I came here to search to see if this is a common problem.

I also agree with nightwalkerone about the ring volume. Mine is cranked up to full but still seems kinda feeble in comparison to my old Nokia......*sighs*

25. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Because of the way the 3.5mm jack socket is recessed, some TRS 3.5mm jacks don't make contact properly and result in low volume. Mine are a case in point. However, the TRRS ones that come with the desire should definitely be loud enough.

I have read many recommending the "ultimate ear bud" headphones, but I haven't bought any yet. I will do soon though.