• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voodoo lagfix for Captivate is out

alphadog00

Aug 1, 2010
I just installed it and no more lag in the email app - deletes and moving between emails is very fast.

This lagfix modifies the kernel and then converts the file system to EXT4. I never tried the others as they seemed to much like a hack.

Voodoo (beta4) EXT4 lagfix for Captivate - xda-developers

I was rooted and had the Battery Circle Mod - this was just a quick update.zip install - it replaces the battery circle with a percentage bar, but others have just reinstalled the battery circle. I like the smaller battery icon with %.

There is no wake lag with this and no problems so far.

Lagfix | Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements

Reactions: Loremonger
Can you take a screen-shot so I can see what the battery (with the %) looks like?

It is the stock battery icon (white outline with blue fill) that has a small number inside. The number is the actual percentage and the bar drops to match - so when it says 47 - it is half way not 3/4. Charging puts a lightning bolt in the middle and you see the icon fill increase from right to left. There probably 10 steps from 50 to 100 - so it probably has a total of 20 increment points - I don't know what it looks like below 47%.

I will see about getting a pic up later - but like i said - think of stock, but with number and more and more accurate visual increments.

Reactions: skinien
Upvote 0
It is the stock battery icon (white outline with blue fill) that has a small number inside. The number is the actual percentage and the bar drops to match - so when it says 47 - it is half way not 3/4. Charging puts a lightning bolt in the middle and you see the icon fill increase from right to left. There probably 10 steps from 50 to 100 - so it probably has a total of 20 increment points - I don't know what it looks like below 47%.

I will see about getting a pic up later - but like i said - think of stock, but with number and more and more accurate visual increments.

Thanks! Good explanation - don't worry about a pic :)

Upvote 0
I've been reading up on this.

For what I can tell, as a lag fix it's probably one of the better methods.

HOWEVER... note that this isn't just changing the filesystem. This is replacing your kernel as well. And the "uninstall", while putting your filesystem back to RFS, does not put your kernel back to what it was. You're left with the "Voodoo" kernel even after uninstall, unless you do a full flash to remove it (which means losing all your apps, etc).

Once again an example where an "uninstall" isn't a true, 100% clean uninstall.

Upvote 0
Well, I know these scores are synthetic and don't necessarily reflect real-world usage, but for those who care about these things...

CAP201009161246.jpg

Upvote 0
So apparently it's possible to use Odin to do a "surgical" replacement of the kernel, hypothetically allowing you to replace the Voodoo kernel with the backup that it makes on install.

Can anyone point me to instructions? I'm an Odin newbie.

I have never heard of Odin making a backup. You could get the stock captivate kernel and flash back after trying this - so you could replace just the kernel in a non-destructive manner.

Upvote 0
What firmware were you running when you flashed?

Original stock, rooted.

After this I'm still showing JF6, firmware 2.1-update1, and my kernel is still showing 2.6.29, but instead of jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2, it's atin@thor #132

[Update]

The phone is significantly faster, well, it's actually less slow :)

I opened up the full/week weather from SnowStorm and it was instant (vs. a 4-5 second delay), email clients (native, K9 and Gmail) all open instantly.

Basically, any place I experience any kind of delay/latency/lag is gone, from unlocking/de-sleeping to opening apps, to opening folders. Everything is really instant.

If we can expect this level of performance (or better) moving forward and get the GPS resolved, this will be a **fantastic** device.

Upvote 0
FYI
after a few days after this lagfix, I noticed a significant battery drain. I'm disabling the lagfix and going to test out the battery to make sure this is not the cause although i dont know of anything else that can be causing this since I didnt install anything.

we'll see....

Any updates on this?

I heard that the lag-fixes might do permanent damages to your phone... Any truth to that, or is that why this Voodoo Lag Fix is significant over the OCLF2.0? (Deducted from following)
I never tried the others as they seemed to much like a hack.

I've been reading all sorts of sites with different information, so I figure I'd toss this into here to find what the pros have to say. Any information is appreciated!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones