voodoo5 kernels are here

Last Updated:

1. saps

saps Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Bob-o

Bob-o Well-Known Member

Oh goodie! Something else to try..and bring my almost bricked count up......:D

3. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

are you actually running it saps? when i jumped onto irc this morning it looked like a war zone of people stuck and unable to boot into cwr and saying to stay away? :eek:

for once i may hold off and see what develops...later today at least :)

4. saps

Be mindful apparently cwm is still non functioning after flashing a few peeps tried the old disable_lagfix and got problems :(
    supercurio did stop in and Im sure jt will resolve any issues today
    kinds sucks for those guys who adopted earlier though since jt dropped it and then went to sleep
    I feel worse because a few guys were sitting on the fence and they asked me what I was going to do and I said jump but then I DL'd it and made some late night food and came back to install and problems were everywhere so I didnt
    On top of that geeknik then sends me the best stupidfast kernel ever so Im still waiting myself.

davidnmegan6907 likes this.
  5. saps

No not yet :(. I feel bad too because humbly speaking based on reputation when I said I was going to like 3 guys sitting on the fence did too. Only I hit DL and then walked away to make some noodles and stuff ending up watching sportscenter for a bit and then came back to the mess. supercurio seems to think its a quick fix in clockwork and thus I imagine by tomorrow things should be rosy again

6. nitsuj17

yeah im sure its only a few lines of code jt has to fix, but my concern is for the people who cant mount on the computer or get into recovery...but im sure people smarter than me will figure it out :)

for once glad i didnt jump the gun :eek:

7. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

Me too sometimes I'm like this sucks most of the stuff happens when I'm asleep because I live on east coast...but this time it looks to have paid off. I hate it for the ones that did jump right in though

8. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 Well-Known Member

Is voodoo5 helping performance *that much* ?

Are you talking about SF v 1.5? I loaded it up last night, and its damn nice. I thought I read it was UV and it makes sense...even with full outlook sync on all night I only dropped 1%/hr.

9. nitsuj17

until i run voodoo5 i wont know how much it helps....but id have to assume its be the next step forward :)

10. Droidus

Droidus Well-Known Member

I wont touch voodoo5 until atleast a good week after its initial release.

11. nitsuj17

not a bad idea :)

12. Bob-o

Bob-o Well-Known Member

I don't think nit will let me touch it...ever! lol I need to learn to flash a rom first:D. I think I'm stuck with stock rom.....I can flash kernells all day...they reboot quick...roms make me pull the battery in a scared frenzy! I wish I had patience...

13. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

I'll second that bob-o haha j/k you will get it we all have faith in ya.

14. nitsuj17

yeah voodoo (well in its current forms) is the source of most borks with this phone.

id get the hang of flashing kernels, themes, roms completely down before considering it :)

15. Bob-o

Bob-o Well-Known Member

When I download a rom in rom manager...say jts super clean...it prompts with glossy mod then stock sms...that means it will be already themed correct? Why do kernells flash and reboot in like 3 mins compared to roms that never load for me? lol

16. NOsquid

NOsquid Well-Known Member

So what's the scoop on this hawtness? Can I flash over my old Voodoo? Can one now flash ROMs and non-Voodoo kernels without disabling?

17. nitsuj17

apparently with what is out you need to manually flash something to get cwr to work right. so until its fixed to do that automatically id stay away as its pretty complicated...im not gonna attempt it yet

18. NOsquid

NOsquid Well-Known Member

Oh dude you definitely dont have to worry about that, im always late to the party for fear of problems.

I did desecrate my beauteous computer and installed Winblows, so at least I have Odin to fall back on now.

19. nitsuj17

haha, always good to have a safety net

20. jamesnmandy

jamesnmandy Well-Known Member

considering past voodoo experiences.....i may never touch it, especially when the non-voodoo kernels like JT super clean and geekniks stupid fast work so well with no relative risk

21. nitsuj17

yup, thats good advice. :D

22. nitsuj17

well since adrynalyne modified voodoo5 from last night to not have a separate cwr flash...im giving it a whirl...lets see how this goes after 2+ weeks of no voodoo for me

23. s44

s44 Well-Known Member

This is all DJ05, I assume? Is BLN working on it yet?

Nice to know a revert modem is out... I think I'll be flashing when I get home.

24. drbenne

drbenne Active Member

how are voodoo kernals different from non-voodoo kernals and what are the risks and benefits of voodoo kernals?

25. nitsuj17

bln works with voodoo 5, or at least it does for me. im sure you can run it with DJ05 but its a modified DJ05 kernel so all wont be well

voodoo kernels change your file system from rfs (crappy) to ext4. the latest voodoo 5 is supposed to be a leap forward as jts most recent rfs kernels had caught up to old vooodoo imo.

our systems have terrible write speeds with rfs (apparently read is ok though) and this compensates for that.

my advice before going for voodoo, read up all you can on it...have the android sdk installed, and be prepared for a bork.