VZ Visual Voicemail and Google Voice

Last Updated:

1. Shivv

Shivv Member This Topic's Starter

I've been using Google Voice for my VM for about a month and a half now with no problems. But every once in a while, I wake up with a notification from the Verizon Visual Voicemail program. There are no new VMs, but it's annoying all the same. Is there a way to stop this, or do I just have to remove the program completely?

Advertisement
  2. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

You have to root your device in order to remove the VVM apk

3. Shivv

Shivv Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently rooted and running Bugless Beast.

I guess I should have been more clear in my post. I have no problem with keeping it on the phone unused, my worry is more that Google Voice isn't grabbing calls and they're instead going into my Verizon VM. Like I said, I haven't had any VMs on my Verizon one, I just don't understand why I would be getting notifications from the app

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Have you switched off GV and checked your old VM for archived messages? Dunno if that would do it but might be one thing to try.

5. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

In that case you should just remove it. I've noticed some installed apps like to run in the background even when you never use them, and VVM is one of them.

6. ikithme

ikithme Member

Fun fact:

The vvm.apk is just a stub for the real program and to be able to use VVM you have to download the actual .apk AND subscribe to verizons service which is like 2 dollars. So unless you have the app downloaded and subscribed it shouldn't be an issue. AND THE FACT THAT IT RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND IS SO IT CAN FETCH YOUR VOICEMAIL... DUH!

7. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

I use GV as well, and I can tell you that I too get this error now and again. I have found that I get the error whenever something changes on the server end of Verizon's voicemail. For example, checking, deleting or even logging into the bare bones *86 style VVM will trigger an alert on your phone. "New activity" I think it reads. Best solution is to delete the app, especially since you're already rooted.