• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VZW c811 activating on straighttalk

rickrabies

Jul 24, 2011
iowa
i need some help here. i bought the straight talk byop setup $45
i have a 4g c811, its not activated on VZW anymore and ESN is clean.
obviously CDMA.
i called them and i could barely understand the indian lady service rep.

iv been googling. i find a few places where yes 4g c811 from vzw was activated on stragithtalk. ..so it is possible?
iv went through phones and this phone is by far the best phone ever for me id hate to discard it.

how in the world do i get it to work? any1 do this before?:smokingsomb:

Reactions: rickrabies
Upvote 0
HALLELUJA.
i read about that app. i will surely download it. those pop ups are annoying.
APN editer? download on pc and upload to phone?

i have the straighttalk BYOP packet. it comes with CDMA card and like 5 GSM cards for everyservice. which GSM card would i use? put it in the same slot as the 4g card? (dumb question sorry)

Upvote 0
APN editors are available on the Playstore. If you can't get a data connection on the phone while you're in transition, can you use the phone's wifi connection to get to Playstore? That would be easiest. Otherwise you would need to get it from another device or an SD card to the phone...

When the phone first came out, you could manually change the APN (Settings/Networks/More/Mobile Networks/Access Point Names) but in subsequent updates Verizon disabled this.

There's a thread on this forum that talks about an APN editor that works well, but I can't find it. Just do a search on Playstore for APN.

This one might work. Read the description.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweakker

Wait a minute, here's one specifically for StraightTalk that might work
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tracfone.straighttalk.stdatasettings

Regarding the nonVZW SIM fix from Doctoror, you might need to checkmark "Allow Installation of Apps from unknown Sources" Under Settings/Security for the phone to let you install the app, since it doesn't come from the Playstore.

SIM card goes in the little slot, lower left, under the battery. Gotta pull the Verizon one and put the new one in in the right way. Pay attention to how the old one went in. Be gentle. Take your time.

Reactions: rickrabies
Upvote 0
HALLELUJA.
i read about that app. i will surely download it. those pop ups are annoying.
APN editer? download on pc and upload to phone?

i have the straighttalk BYOP packet. it comes with CDMA card and like 5 GSM cards for everyservice. which GSM card would i use? put it in the same slot as the 4g card? (dumb question sorry)

You will want to use the microsim. Yes, it goes in place of the VZW 4G sim. The APN editor will get your data and MMS going. Plenty of folks using this VZW phone on other carriers so don't give up.

Upvote 0
ok tweakker will not work on my phone. force closes each time i open it."apn switcher" app worked though to disable vzw error warning and incoming calls.
activated it and works jus no data/mms.

in settings under APN. theres no option other then menu button to reset to default. which does nothing.
progress though.

Upvote 0
Read the instructions again from post #8 from the last link I posted.

You need to install Titanium

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup

and Offline SIM APN database

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SIMAPNCheck

Try the free versions.

and then use Titanium to make Offline SIM APN a system app by changing its attributes as described in post #8 of the linked thread.

I'm not rooted and don't use Straighttalk, so my help is limited in this case. But you're close to success I think.

Upvote 0
OK
I was able to find a work around!!!!
... like previously said I had tried the instructions in Post 8 of
http://androidforums.com/commando-4...4-1-2-rooted-now-how-change-apn-settings.html

However jelly bean 4.2.1 seems to have recently blocked APN's from being viewed with a non Verizon SIM so after banging my head and drinking a few adult beverages!
- here is the modified version I came up

-Rooted with Kingo ( will spare the details )
then as per here: http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zo...oming-calls-sim-unknown-source-popup-fix.html
load and install:
- C811HiddenMenu.apk
- C811ExtraSettings.apk

-Disconnect from computer.
-install apk's make super user and switch to Enable non -Verizon SIM

BUY on Google play:
$$Titanium backup pro (paid version) need free version first, PRO paid is just a KEY
$$offline SIM apn (paid version)
- With your NON Verizon SIM installed
- Open Titanium backup, click on backup/restore. search for Offlinesim apn, hold button down to access menu, change to system app (toward the bottom of menu). Close it and go to Offlinessim apn.
-CLICK: Search APN settings for this Phone
****this is the new parts:
- write down on a piece paper the name of the VPN of your new SIM
- power down take out NEW SIM reinstall Verizon SIM
- GO to Settings, MORE, Mobile network settings, Access Point Names
- click the verizon APN change the APN to the name from the NEW SIM
- power down remove Verizon SIM, re- instal NEW SIM
NOW:
-OPEN Offline sim once again
-CLICK: Search APN settings for this Phone
-CLICK COPY on each setting
-Click add these settings IGNOR pop up this time click yes
-go back and repeat for all other APN's on SIM one of them should work

go back to your Access point Names and click one of your new APN's

** enjoy new service**
hope i was help if i left something out or confused anyone more just reply or shoot me a MSG

Upvote 0
Bought a second C811 from Amazon last month when I thought I had bricked mine. Went ahead and activated second phone on Straight talk after I got first working again. Granted that I rooted it first thing out of the box, getting it to work with Straight talk was easier than I thought it would be. Seems that were I live, Alabama, Straight talk uses Verizon towers and APN's for their sim was the same. VZW INTERNET:LTE and VZW INTERNET:WC. Didn't have to change anything, just went through Straight talk set up process and done. Everything works with no hiccups.

Upvote 0
i have done the ESN test. says not compatable i know. but theres people that have made them work somehow. with unlock key? not too clear
I am currently using the phone on straighttalk and having no issues. Worse part was waiting for the sim and not realizing the phone i was using had one. DUUUHHH. Go to their website and they have an MEID/ checker. I put mine in which I bought on ebay KNOWING that it had a bad EMI for Verizon. Check came back clean and I called them ported my phone number to Casio C881 and it transferred and was active in less than 5 minutes. I have never had a rep I couldn't understand. Here is the backdoor number 866-806-1840. Recording will ask for a reference number just hit buttons to fail and get a rep. Hope this helps you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones