vzw car chargerAccessories

Last Updated:

1. dragonsamus

dragonsamus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was told by a VZW employee that using the car charger longer than 20 mins will fry my battery. She said its because the car charger doesn't trickle charge.

Should I avoid using my car charger?? Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this, but would love to see what people are going to say about it lol

3. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Active Member

first time for everything, correct me if I'm wrong but it's the battery management software on the phone that takes care of the trickle charge and overcharge prevention

4. dragonsamus

She might not know what she's talking about then.

Also, she kept trying to get me to install advanced task killer. She said it would help with my battery life. :rolleyes:

5. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

Although this DID happen to me it's not something that should be expected.

I was using the D Inc on a road trip as a GPS. A few hours into the trip it flashed a message saying that the charger is an incompatible type and will damage the phone. From that point forward the charging circuit in the phone was toast and I ended up having to trade it in for a new one. So, now I wait.....

But, this should NOT happen and is definitely a phone problem. I used the same charger with my Droid 1 and never had an issue with long road trips.

6. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

NONO, if it flashes incompatible, that's something wrong with the charger. Get a quality charger, you should not have any problems.
    Amazon.com: Scosche Dual USB Car Charger: Cell Phones & Service
    I bought this and really delighted with it. Quality built. Somehow, it has increased $3.50 since I purchased it last week.

7. dragonsamus

I too plug my phone in when using the gps. Should I be concerned??

If the charger fries the battery they should not be selling it. And I don't recall seeing any warnings about using the car charger... I'm paranoid now.:eek:

8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

This rep didn't know what she was talking about. I drive routinely about 3-5 hours each day. During this time, I am connected to my $3 monoprice car charger, using Google navigation, streaming Pandora and connected to an fm transmitter. Pretty sure mine would be dead by now if this were true.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk Pro.

ucluglee and dragonsamus like this.
  9. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

That is so seriously true. WTF do they teach these people? Nothing obviously.

I had to tell the rep that sold me my Inc to STOP INSTALLING ADVANCED TASK KILLER. OMG. He was doing so without asking me or telling me what he was doing. Good thing I said, "What are you doing??"

Anyway... sorry for the rant.

If you buy the VZW charger and not some off brand generic from Amazon you will be fine. The phone will only take as many amps as it needs and it will not fry your battery.

10. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

Mine was the OEM Verizon charger but I still think it was just a bad phone. I need to go grab it and see what the voltage says on the DVM. Maybe the internal regulator blew out. :(

11. kriswknight

kriswknight Well-Known Member

Couldnt you have just deleted it? That takes, what, 5 seconds?

12. Outatime

The point was, he was doing it without my permission and was obviously clueless. I'm sorry I just spent over $300 on phone and stuff... don't install something on it without asking me first.

SCARLETnGREY likes this.
  13. kriswknight

Did you mind that he activated the phone without asking, or took it out of the box without asking? People get so crazy about things. Its just a phone. its their job to try to be as nice as possible and you are the kind of customer that makes them go into the back and hate their job. Congrats.

14. Outatime

Mmmkay there Krissy. Double up on the meds tonight. It'll be ok.

SCARLETnGREY likes this.
  15. gszeman

gszeman Member

Which store do you work at?

Point is, it is their job to make sure the phone works before sending you off with it, hence the unboxing and activating. It is not their job to install 3rd party apps on the phone.

Back on topic, I also have the charger from VZW (the one that has the red light on the part that plugs in to the lighter socket), and I have it plugged in for three to four hours while running gps navigation, music and several phone calls. I haven't had any issues, but I'll check the cpu temp and battery temp tomorrow after it's plugged in all day, just to see where it's at.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

16. kriswknight

Always great to try to turn around an issue on a person who is only pointing out the obvious. all too often, people complain about someone in a service industry not doing enough for them. You found a salesperson who was more concerned with you getting what you should for your phone, then punting you out of the store to try to get to the next person to try to make a few extra dollars, and you're still complaining. I just think its a bit odd.

17. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

That's crazy talk. But sounds highly incorrect to me. I have a VZW car charger and have had no issues of yet.

Also as far as Advanced Task Killer. I went into a store yesterday to ask about the extended battery. Of course they had no clue. The guy was like are you killing all your apps? Did you turn off Bluetooth etc? I was like dude whats the point of having this kind of phone and turning everything off? Though I will admit, I've been turning off BT of late during the day and its helped give me a bit more battery life.

FWIW, every Android phone I was messing around with in the store all had ATK installed on it. Crazy.

18. jaybeth421

jaybeth421 Member

@kriswnight. I don't think its smart to put thrid party apps on a new phone without asking the customer. There is already controversy about task killers. If it was an approved android app I could see this. And nothing wrong with a customer saying what they want. Get over yourself. I'm sure you do fine selling yiur phones either way

19. notacookie

notacookie New Member

I have to agree. I received my phone before its release and when i took it to the VZW store, a few of the tech were oogling it and wanting to "make sure it was ok". I kept asking them not to play with it- sorry my phone, my rules.

PROBLEM- i woke up this morning to find my phone NOT working- not on, not able to charge. i took out the battery and it started working again. Has anyone else had this issue? i've also had a few instances of random reboots- anyone else??

20. KimchiBoi

KimchiBoi Active Member

This happened to me too. Waiting for a replacement too. This was using a monoprice car charger.