• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VZW Contract Question

jfoey22

Android Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Guys / Gals,

Let me first thank you all for the plethora of information contained here. I have become an obsessive lurker for the last month.

In anticipation of the looming Incredible release, I have a question about my current VZW contract. I will lay out the whole scenario.

About 40 days ago I started a new job and turned in my old TP2 phone. At that point or just prior I started looking into my new phone. I found the Incredible and decided rather than getting hooked into a 2-yr contract getting a DRIOD, I would wait till the Incredible came out. So, my wife had her old phone laying around the house so we went into VZW and added a line to her plan. We got a family plan. Now when I log into my account on VZW it says my line isn't eligible for upgrade until October 2011??? I haven't yet called VZW, because the account is in my wife

Store representatives earn commission based on NEW CONTRACTED lines of service, so even if you brought your own device they may have snuck a contract in on you. If you call customer care they can most likely reset it if they look up the IMEI of your device and see it was used in the past.

If you have any other questions about this, PM me. I work in retentions so I can answer some more questions.

BTW -FIRST POST!

Upvote 0
Hey Guys / Gals,

Let me first thank you all for the plethora of information contained here. I have become an obsessive lurker for the last month.

In anticipation of the looming Incredible release, I have a question about my current VZW contract. I will lay out the whole scenario.

About 40 days ago I started a new job and turned in my old TP2 phone. At that point or just prior I started looking into my new phone. I found the Incredible and decided rather than getting hooked into a 2-yr contract getting a DRIOD, I would wait till the Incredible came out. So, my wife had her old phone laying around the house so we went into VZW and added a line to her plan. We got a family plan. Now when I log into my account on VZW it says my line isn't eligible for upgrade until October 2011??? I haven't yet called VZW, because the account is in my wife

Upvote 0
If you ported your number over, my speculation would be that they also ported the contract over, and they still have you on the contract which you were on with your TP2....How long ago did you get that phone?

If you got a new number, I have no idea.

Not trying to be TOO technical here but porting is bringing your number to a new location on a fresh contract/no contract, a Transfer of Service or Billing Responsibility would have been what moved his current contract over.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys / Gals,

About 40 days ago I started a new job and turned in my old TP2 phone. At that point or just prior I started looking into my new phone. I found the Incredible and decided rather than getting hooked into a 2-yr contract getting a DRIOD, I would wait till the Incredible came out. So, my wife had her old phone laying around the house so we went into VZW and added a line to her plan. We got a family plan. Now when I log into my account on VZW it says my line isn't eligible for upgrade until October 2011??? I haven't yet called VZW, because the account is in my wife’s name. Why wouldn't I be eligible for an upgrade right now? Is it just a matter of wording and I am really eligible? I would hate to walk in to VZW the day the Incredible comes out and have to pay full retail price. My line shouldn't have a contract should it?

Is the NE2 different than the 2-yr contract price? I am the secondary line on the account, so will I be eligible for the 2-year contract price but not the NE2 price?

Sorry for the long winded explination, but I wanted to make sure I covered everything.

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,

Josh
By adding a line to your wife's account, I do believe you are essentially signing on to a new 2 year contract (unless you made it CLEAR to the VZW reps that you do NOT want a new contract and want to stay out-of-contract). As Zrock said, you may want to call customer service and make sure the VZW reps at the store did not do that, and that you wanted a transfer of bill responsibility instead, as all you're doing is transfering your existing line, onto her contract.

Upvote 0
As I understand it only the main line of a family plan qualifies for NE2 which is different and in addition to any price reduction for re-upping your contract.

It sounds like they have you under contract for some reason.
That is correct. Say you're on a family plan with 3 different lines, only the main one gets the NE2.

Upvote 0
Store representatives earn commission based on NEW CONTRACTED lines of service, so even if you brought your own device they may have snuck a contract in on you. If you call customer care they can most likely reset it if they look up the IMEI of your device and see it was used in the past.

If you have any other questions about this, PM me. I work in retentions so I can answer some more questions.

BTW -FIRST POST!

Thanks so much for your help. I called Customer Service and they took care of it for me. It appears just as you said, they snuck a contract on me but they took care of it :) Glad I checked today, rather than having to deal with it the day the Incredible comes out.

As a side note, for giggles I asked the Customer Service person if she could tell me when the HTC Incredible would be coming out, she said "I have never heard of that phone till right now". haha... sure!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones