(VZW) Other person can't hear me.Support

Last Updated:

1. AnotherHiggins

AnotherHiggins Well-Known Member

A network issue doesn't seem to be supported by the evidence. Some people have this problem consistently on every call, others don't ever have the problem. But it could be a regional thing.

For me, it happened on nearly every call - and every call over 5 minutes - for a week and a half. The second I popped a new SIM card in it stopped and hasn't happened since. But others are still having the problem. For a network issue to be corrected in my area at 7:30 PM on New Years Eve precisely when I got the new SIM card would be quite a coincidence.

The theory of SIM cards being to blame fits all of the cases I've seen so far, including yours.

As I said to jrbmed08, if it is indeed caused by bad SIM cards, then you would expect some users to get a bad SIM card the second time around, too.

I freely admit that I simply haven't seen enough data to conclude that SIM cards are to blame, but for whatever reason swapping them out has eliminated the problem for multiple users. One possibility is that there is some other variable that is resolved by swapping a SIM card.

Advertisement
  2. Benjamin Crist

Benjamin Crist Active Member

I agree, which is why I went to a different store to request my SIM card. However, since both stores are in the same area, I could have ended up with another bad SIM card from a bad batch.

I'm really curious WHY the SIM card would be causing this issue, due to how I understand the SIM cards to work. However, I have seen stranger things by far with computers and these "phones" are computers first and phones second.

I'm hoping to hear from VZW, Google or Samsung via Twitter, or that more users post on the forums to get more data to support one theory or the other. If the SIM fix seems to be the best option, I may ask tech to send me a new SIM to get it from another batch than the one the stores here have.
  3. fusionta66

fusionta66 Member

I registered for this forum specifically to comment in this thread. I have been having this issue, probably in about 15% of my calls. I have swapped out both my phone and a new SIM card and the problem is still here. VERY VERY aggravating
  4. fusionta66

fusionta66 Member

By the way, I am in the Twin Cities, MN if that helps. I saw on a forum that there was more than one person in this area with the problem.
  5. jrbmed08

jrbmed08 Member

SIX DIncs?!? That must have been ridiculously frustrating. Thanks for the moral support. I suppose it is possible to get 2 bad SIM cards in a row, but something tells me it's less likely considering I got my first in California and second in Pennsylvania. Unless all Costcos in the country got the same batch of SIM cards (I did exchange the card at a Costco). I think you're right that I have a separate issue, although I have experienced the issue you all are describing a few times before the sound completely cut out.

Verizon mentioned that the refurbs were from people who took them out of the boxes in the store and then decided not to buy them, but never brought them home. Sounds like they were never actually activated. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but considering that very few people are willingly getting rid of this phone (look at all of us sticking with it despite a major flaw in the phone function), I doubt there are too many refurbished ones that have really been used.
  6. Benjamin Crist

I'm also in Twin Cities, MN

That could mean there is a bad batch of phones, SIM cards in our area. Could also be network issues (though I tend to doubt that, it is possible).

Of course, it may not be anything. :)
  7. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

8. kecker

kecker New Member

Also in the Twin Cities, MN here....I've only had this happen to me twice and I've had a number of longer phone calls were it didn't happen. So far me it's very intermittent.

But I have a friend who it is happening more frequently to. He was advised by Samsung that it's a hardware issue and he should go get a new phone from Verizon, basically that it's a bad batch of new phones.

Now they don't specify if it's the phone or the SIM card so not sure that helps you here.

But it is curious there is at least four of us in the Twin Cities with this problem.
  9. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Lots of reported issues from there, on a forum that only represents a small amount of actual users.... this is very interesting any way you look at it!
  10. Jezi_Buckz

Jezi_Buckz Well-Known Member

I am in the Twin Cities area as well. I got my phone on January 2nd and it has been doing it since the second day I had it. Twice in a row tonight I had to call the person back and it happened again. So is that five people from the TC area now?
  11. Benjamin Crist

We should all go a Verizon store together so they realize there are more than one of us having the same issue!
  12. syntrix

I'm really curious now. Was Twin Cities a market that VZW purchased from another carrier in the last.... well let's make it really broad... over the last 10 years? Or has this always been a 100% pure VZW market as far as you know?

Insight is that when VZW bought Alltel a few years ago, we had major provisioning issues here in the Little Rock area, and every tech support call had to be transferred to a Legacy Alltel group. Not sayin' but just sayin' :D
    jbdan likes this.
  13. Benjamin Crist

The Twin Cities has always been a Verizon market, since Verizon Wireless was formed.

Simple answer: Verizon was made up of Bell Atlantic, PrimeCo and Airtouch.

Long answer: Verizon Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airtouch was the company that was in our area as the CDMA carrier when Verizon Wireless was formed.

With so many people chiming in from TC Cities area, I'm thinking maybe we got a bad batch of SIM cards that are causing the issue, though we don't have a lot of numbers to go by. I am getting a new SIM card tomorrow that VZW tech is shipping to me, so perhaps that will help troubleshoot this since that likely will be a different stock, and it will be the 3rd sim card in my 2nd handset.
  14. syntrix

Let's hope that it's just that! Sorry, I think outside of the box too much!
  15. AnotherHiggins

shiiiiiiiiit.

It happened to me again today on 1 phone call. But I've made several long calls today without incident.

As for geographic patterns, there are at least 3 of us in NC in this thread. One from Durham, about 15 minutes from me. The other guy didn't list his city. Hmm.
  16. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

Charlotte here. Haven't had the issue since my SIM replacement, although I am not a talker so there have not been many 20+ minute phone calls. I'll try another this weekend before the 15th deadline.

I like this phone in every other way and hate the thought of returning it for something else despite this flaw. Right now I am in the camp of convincing myself that with my typical calling habits, this issue (if still present) is not that big a deal for me. (Yes, I know dee Nile ain't just a river in Egypt!)
  17. ncwxnut

ncwxnut Member

Still having this issue after two phones and also replacing sim card. Waiting for another replacement phone and sim card, hopefully that will fix the problem. If not i am going to get a rezound. I am in Huntersville NC.
  18. AnotherHiggins

I bought from HH Gregg (they gave me $100 off, plus my $50 early upgrade, so I got the Galaxy Nexus for $150 on release day!), so I don't think I qualify for the Jan. 15 return date.

Hopefully this will be addressed since I'm past my return date.
  19. Mr. Link

Mr. Link Well-Known Member

LOL too funny! Anyway, I did mention in my post that my problem was slightly different. Since that post though I have had the problem everyone is discussing here. However mine only seems to happen when I'm on bluetooth so I can't confirm if it's a bluetooth problem or something else.
  20. kklier

kklier Well-Known Member

I've had it happen on both bluetooth, handset, and speaker phone.

Issue 23733 - android - phone call outbound audio drops - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

-kklier
  21. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

UPDATE: I just wrapped up a weekly call with my brother who has heard my voice drop twice before. I'm happy to report this is my second 30+ minute call since swapping out SIM cards that did NOT have an issue with the mic. Mr Wiggins can update his "table" to show another happy customer sporting a new (working) SIM.
  22. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Good to hear. It happened to me tonight around the 6min mark in my conversation. I live in Philly. I just turned the speakerphone on and it was fine. Didn't have to end the conversation or anything. This bug seems to be completely random. I've had many conversations where I don't experience it, then, like tonight, after just 6 min it came back. Haven't called VZW yet. Really need to get on that.
  23. syntrix

I know there's reluctance.... but have you called VZW and have you experienced it?

Call on your SGN, get the priority call back txt, ignore it... .talk to them. The usually won't do a long call with ya.
  24. Zaeed

Zaeed New Member

hey guys, just to mix it up.. I'm in Tasmania, Australia, on the Telstra network, and am experiencing the exact same issue.. I was just talking to my mate and suddenly I sounded like i was 'at the end of a tunnel'. The other day I was talking to my mum, and she suddenly couldn't hear me at all.

So this makes me think it's the phone that's at fault.
  25. mike420

mike420 Well-Known Member