Vzw rep recommended anti-virus...General

Last Updated:

1. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I stopped by the Vzw store to pick up a car charger and had a small convo with the rep and she said that when I came in Thursday to pick up my Incredible that they would install some apps including task killer and an anti virus... really? An anti-virus? I quickly interrupted her and pointed out that I had ordered it online so I would take care of that on my own but... an anti-virus, should I be installing an antivirus lol, Idk why but I find that a bit silly, however I am not really knowledgeable on whether this is truly a big deal in the android world...

comments?

Advertisement
  2. jareth

jareth Well-Known Member

She had no idea what she was talking about.

I didn't even need antivirus on my old winmo phone, so a linux based phone like android needing antivirus is laughable. Android just doesn't operate that way.

3. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

The day I have to keep up with virus updates and software for my phone is the day I sell my smartphone. Ew. Ugly thoughts go away!

4. MrGoodCat

MrGoodCat Well-Known Member

you don't need either of those things. maybe it was opposite day at the verizon store you went to today. were her clothes inside out and backwards? haha

seriously though, don't install either, your phone will thank you for it and bless you with extra free ram

5. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

If any anti-virus comes up, it would be on the Apple iPhone since it has the largest base.

6. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

She is full of lies.

7. JETC

JETC Well-Known Member

Well...never say never. There are already rare occasions of malware infections that has gotten through Android based OS (ie. Malware found on HTC Android phone from Vodafone | InSecurity Complex - CNET News ) It's rare but nevertheless present. Chances are if you are smart with what apps you download and opening email attachments then you don't have anything to worry about. Just letting everyone know that yes...virus/malwares for Linux OS does also exist. Security holes just gets patched faster...way faster than Microsoft would.

8. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Eew gross. I already have a computer!! RAWR!

9. dvdivx

dvdivx Well-Known Member

Sounds like Pelosi. I'd say a firewall would be the most you would need unless there is a bluetooth/wifi exploit.

10. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Firewall on a smartphone? I don't think so, same as an antivirus app, its not needed. Task killers are not needed as well, they eat up ram and the android os does a great job of managing memory on its own.